Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

wind powered battery charger circuit questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

fwreed3

So I am building a wind powered battery charger and I’m not sure of some of the parts I need for the circuit. I have the small wind turbine built with a Super Speed 9-18VDC Hobby Motor from Radio Shack. Next I am connecting the motor to the collector of an NPN transistor. The emitter of the transistor will connect to a fuse then a snubber diode then to the batteries (2 AA or AAA batteries). I am then connecting that to a PIC, which I still have to program, and the PIC will have a LCD output of the battery voltage. The PIC will also connect to the base of the transistor. Lastly I did test the wind turbine and it looks like I am getting a constant 9V out of the motor under controlled conditions. My question is this: what type of NPN transistor/fuse/snubber diode should I use? And would it be practical to add a capacitor to the circuit to give a more constant charge? Thanks

Last edited:
A high wind will increase the RPM of the windmill and maybe tear it apart. Also then the output voltage and current will be much higher.

Real windmill generators have a heater that is connected as a load to slow down the windmill during a high wind. Then the generator motor will get hot so it must be big enough to dissipate its heat.

If your battery cells are Ni-MH then they need a constant current circuit to charge them and a circuit that detects that they are fully chearged then it shuts off the charging. Use a battery charger IC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back