Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wind meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

pvd

hello friend....
Please help me to make wind speed meter to measure wind speed....

Anemometer. Small DC motor used as a tachometer. Hard part is building the wheel and cups.

you didnt tell about the building blocks of the idea, on which you need it to be displayed? a digital reading? or a short of analog indication? or you need it for computer interface?

Found this circuit with google

**broken link removed**

322-wind-meter-circuit.jpg

You can build a simple wind speed meter with a tiny electric motor with a propeller or fan blade. On a day when the wind is dead calm hold it out the car window and drive down the road. Use a volt meter to read the voltage at different speeds. As you pick up speed the voltage will go up so you need to make notes, 5 mph = 1 volt, 10 mph = 2 volts, 15 mph = 3 volts and so on. When you get up to a pretty fast speed like 40 or 50 mph it may max out the voltage of the motor so you won't be able to read the wind speed above that speed. It takes a little bit of experementing with motors and fan blades to find a good combination that work good together. It is simple and it works.

An option to consider is to use a speedometer from a car for read out.

The newer speedometers rely on pulses which drive the dial.
A 12 Volt power supply to be used for power and impulses go to the sensing terminal of the speedo.

By means of using a smooth running stepper motor, the 3 cups rotor and a speedo read out a suitable anemometer should be able to be made.

I have thought about the idea to built one myself but haven't got around it yet.

Last edited:
There are lots of cheap LCD "weather stations" you can buy from about $40 up. Most have wind speed anemometers and outdoor temp and humidity sensors etc, I woul dbe temped just to buy one for the weatherproof outdoor sensor and hack into it. They usually use a tiny magnet ont he rotor and a cheap little hall sensor to detect rotation speed.

as RODALCO & Mr.RB said, use a hole sensor near to a rotating megnetic array ( megnetic bars can be glued on a shaft) as a pulse generator and use an exisiting car speedo meter that works with pulse rate. you will have to calibrate it by hcanging the number of megnetic poles or by adding few more hole sensors or by coupling through a gear.

That 'tranemometer' by Steven Woodward didn't work well with me.
**broken link removed**
Chemelec said it works, (250 ft/min for 2.5V output is really silly, IMO, that kinda wind blows off a country :p) but another guy who built it said it is pretty lousy.
Anyone else built it? Three out of four ain't gonna be bad.

find an old wheel mouse and use the rotation speed (connect to axle with wind cups) and measure how many rotations.
an optical (slot interupter switch) will do the same. then do the math by wheel diameter, number of rotations and how many slots you use.
am working on such a circuit design but using a PIC to measure wind direction, wind speed air tank pressure and speed of projectile for an air cannon.

A very cheap solution is using a solar motor.

They start rotating at 0.6 to 0.8V already and vice versa should have an extremely low start torque to rotate at low wind speeds.

The mechanical part shouldn't be difficult at all. Use three (balanced) arms with halves of ping-pong balls.

Using an optical sensor you can even measure wind direction if one of the ball carriers is fitted with a small blade.

Downwind that arm will acellerate and upwind it will decellerate. The "zero" point determines wind direction.

Boncuk

Attachments

• WINDMETER.gif
    WINDMETER.gif
    4.3 KB · Views: 296
aryan,

You managed to resurrect an old thread.

And, let me tell you that the last poster is not with us anymore. You should aim better for prospective customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back