Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wind Generator Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman83

My dad wants me to make a device to charge a bank of batteries using power from a wind generator he is going to make. I've looked at a few ideas and I have a thought of my own....
I bought a PICKit 2 about 12 months ago and have done lots of reading (on PICs) since then. My question is "Wouldn't it just be easier to program a PIC to control his generator system, rather than using other integrated circuits?" The PICs require so few external components, I would think it would be easier. And, at the same time, I can utilize more of the PIC capabilities to create a controller that gives much more feedback on the current state of the system. I'm not really sure which way to go, though.
It's still early yet and I don't know any details on his system; so I'm kind of working blind.

Any input would be appreciated.

This is a good link that might afford you a few ideas. Yes, the use of PIC chips is very popular for applications like what you are looking at.

Personally I would sit down with a blank sheet of paper and start writing down what you want to do, as in what data you want to record or capture as well as what hardware you may want to control. For example if the RPM starts to exceed a certain level in severe high winds you may want to shut the turbine down and lock the rotor.

Ron

Hi Patman,
Welcome to the forum :)

Is your Dad building a Dual Axial Flux Wind Generator along the lines to the I put up in the RE Projects Forum will do the job while your designing a pic based controller.

The link Reloadron gave is for a picaxe based circuit NOT a pic based circuit.

Here's a few pointers to get your feet wet.

Decide what the battery voltage you will be using ie: 12, 24, 48 volts then readup on the battery spec's for charging on the batteries you have as that will give you the voltages required for correct charging and maximum voltage. When the batteries reach the maximum voltage all power MUST be diverted to a dumpload. Depending on the size of the dumpload which should be sized about double what the full amperage the wind generator can put out.
The circuit will then look at the battery voltage and determine if the dumpload should stay on or be turned off after a pre determined interval. ( the shunt controller schematic does exactly this)

RPM can be worked out from the frequency the wind generator outputs and shown on a LCD display along with voltage and input current. voltage will just be a step down circuit and for the current a current shunt and opamp going to a ADC pin on the pic.

Now thats just the start of things

Regards Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back