Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Will this work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plasmah

Hi all...

See circuit below:

If I replace the bulbs with a 12v 2a transformer and use a 12v panel lamp will this circuit still work?

I'm trying to build this circuit and get away from using those damn big bulbs =)
I want to have this all inside a neat project box.

Thanks alot...

Jim E.

Attachments

• pulserworking.gif
    pulserworking.gif
    9.5 KB · Views: 200
Plasmah said:
Hi all...

See circuit below:

If I replace the bulbs with a 12v 2a transformer and use a 12v panel lamp will this circuit still work?

I'm trying to build this circuit and get away from using those damn big bulbs =)

Thanks alot...

Jim E.

No, the lamps are being used as a current limiting device

Lefty

Thanks

Thanks for the fast reply...

Is there any way to get around using the bulbs?
Can I use a Ac to Dc wall adapter??

Last edited:
The 150V capacitor will blow up in that circuit because it will have AC across it but it is polarized.

Replace the big bulbs and the 150VF capacitor with a power resistor. Connect a 12V transformer to the mains by itself, but the 12V light bulb won't dim when the photo-flash capacitors are charged.

Ok

Thank you....

Will do, Can you tell me what rating the power resister should be?

Last edited:
My try .......

Plasmah said:
Hi all...

See circuit below:

Thanks alot...

Jim E.

You might try this, no guaranties:
https://www.pbase.com/sinoline/image/84010427.jpg

If the photo caps doesn't charge fast enough use larger bulb.

Attachments

• scr.jpg
    scr.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 164
A 120W 110V light bulb is 101 ohms when hot and about 10 ohms when cold. The average is 56 ohms. Try 56 ohms 25W.

A small night light 110V bulb is only 5W. Its resistance is 2.4k when hot and about 240 ohms when cold. It will charge the caps very slowly.

Ok

I found a 50 ohm 25watt resistor I will try.
I will do what you said and use the transformer. I will have to guess as to how long it will take the Caps to fully charge.

Thanks much for the help

Jim E.

The 50 ohm 25 watt resistor will have 300+ watts applied to it when the capacitors begin charging. Keep the duty cycle low.

audioguru said:
The 150V capacitor will blow up in that circuit because it will have AC across it but it is polarized.

Replace the big bulbs and the 150VF capacitor with a power resistor.

But isn't it supposed to be a voltage doubler?, so it needs the first capacitor.

Nigel Goodwin said:
But isn't it supposed to be a voltage doubler?, so it needs the first capacitor.
You are absolutely correct! I missed the voltage doubler.
Then the 300V photo-flash capacitors will blow up with 310VDC to 340VDC across them.

audioguru said:
You are absolutely correct! I missed the voltage doubler.
Then the 300V photo-flash capacitors will blow up with 310VDC to 340VDC across them.

Don't PC power supplies switch electrolytics as a voltage doubler when set to 110V?.

You all missed the 1N5402 diodes which have a peak reverse voltage
of only 200 volts, 1N5408's are more suitable for this purpose.

on1aag.

audioguru said:
I disagree, the capacitor won't blow up as worst case it only conducts current the wrong way for half a cycle and even then it's in series with C2.

Thie only probelm is there needs to be bleeder resistors to discharge the circuit when it's disconnected. I'd be even tempted to install a relay that shorts the capacitors via a bleader when the power is disconnected.

Hmmm =)

Would one of you guys be kind enough to write a circuit out for me with this info
on it. This is going to be used as a magnetic pulser. Acording to Dr Robert Becks specs.

Thanks

I wanted to build this so I can put it all in a hobby box all self contained. I wanted to stay away from having the big ass bulbs and I wanted a light to either go out or light up when the Caps are fully charged.

Can one of you guru's draw me a circuit?
I'll pay you =)

By the way: I'm using 150 uf 330v caps five of them. And 100uf 160v up front.

thanks alot

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back