Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Will this work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagnumForce

I have made a diagram of a setup up that would make a motor change direction if a switch is used. (it basicly reverses the polority)

I have tried to make one that used only one battery, and only one switch, but it wouldn't work without a short circut somewhere. (unless you use a switch that has 4 connectors on it, which I don't have)

Here is a picture explaning it:
**broken link removed**

Since I haven't actually built this, I don't know 100% that it would work. I am certain it will.

If any one knows a simple way to do it with only one battery, and as little parts and wires as nessesery, please tell me.

This setup can work with other things too, since it doesn't have to be a motor. You could even use 2 different voltage batteries. (but make sure the motor can handle it first)

Yes it will work. BUT....

A little 9v battery wont last very long when it is driving a motor. Far better to use several AA size batteries in series to get the required voltage.

Instead of using two batteries, you need a "two pole changeover switch", which will have six contacts.
Then you can use just the one battery.

JimB

Agreed, when I used a 9v to power a fan (which had a moderatly large motor) the battery only lasted about 10 minutes continuesly, (and it got very hot).

I have a AA battery holder that can hold 4 in a series, I will use that instead of 9v.

Also thanks for the info on the switch. I will see if Radioshack has one of those.

MagnumForce said:
Agreed, when I used a 9v to power a fan (which had a moderatly large motor) the battery only lasted about 10 minutes continuesly, (and it got very hot).

I have a AA battery holder that can hold 4 in a series, I will use that instead of 9v.

Also thanks for the info on the switch. I will see if Radioshack has one of those.
The switch will probably be easier to find if you look for DPDT - double pole, double throw. Wire it like this:

Attachments

• reversing_switch.png
    reversing_switch.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 350
Use Ni-MH AA rechargeable battery cells. A charge lasts longer than alkaline cells and you can charge them 500 times.

hi,
Remember when you move from the 'virtual' motor, to a real motor, buy a dc motor that can be driven forward and reverse, not all motors can.:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back