Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Will this work with 120v?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy1845c

I want to build a simple flasher for use with 120v ac. It won't need to run more then about 60w. I found this

https://www.redcircuits.com//Page20.htm

but it says it for use with 230v. I'm not sure if this is 240v ac with 2 hots like here in the states, or if its 230v with a single hot from another country? Can anyone tell me from looking at the Circuit diagram if it would function with 120v without modification?

Second, why does it use 1000v diodes in the diode bridge? seems like way overkill? Would some 800v ones do?

Third, I'm trying to build this with on hand part, but don't have any SCRs that i'm aware of. Does anyone know if they can be found in any common household electronic junk? I have alot of old stereo equipt for parts, but I don't think SCRs generaly live there. Anyone have any ideas so I don't have to order one? lol

but it says it for use with 230v. I'm not sure if this is 240v ac with 2 hots like here in the states, or if its 230v with a single hot from another country?
Whether it is one HOT or two doesn't really matter to this circuit. It is more of a user safety issue.
Second, why does it use 1000v diodes in the diode bridge? seems like way overkill? Would some 800v ones do?
240Vac = 340V Peak... So yes, 1000V gives a large margin of safety in the case of line surges.
800v ones should be fine for 120Vac operation.

Does anyone know if they can be found in any common household electronic junk?
You could use a triac out of a lamp dimmer switch. It should still work on pulsating DC like that from the bridge rectifier.

Can anyone tell me from looking at the Circuit diagram if it would function with 120v without modification?
It probably will, but I would change R1 to 51K.

Thank you for your reply. It clears things up a bit for me. I'm still on the hunt for a SCR or triac though, anyone else have any ideas where to look?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back