Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

will this scope be a good choice? Price: $289.99

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

What do you want to use the scope for?

I own one of those, for the money (sub £200 in the UK) they are not too bad, in fact I am quite happy with it. I have a nice Tek analogue scope but needed the ability to do single shot triggers sometime ago...

That said, there is far better out there these days. The 50 MHz Rigol is not much more money, and beats the Owon (and the new revision) on pretty much every front (sampling rate, bandwidth & memory which are the most important things with a Digital Scope).

It is a shame the bandwidth of the Digilent analog discovery is so limited (5 MHz), given the 100 MSp/s 14 bit ADC, or I would recommend one of those...

never had a scope before, use it maybee for hobby, pic projekt and ham radio,

Hi,

Well since your use will be varied you'll have to figure out what the max frequency signal you want to be able to view on the scope. That scope does 100 Megasamples per second, so that means it takes a sample of the input every 10 nanoseconds. That means that at 50 Megahertz you'd get just 2 samples for the entire wave provided the bandwidth wen that high too. The scope software then may use an algorithm to connect those two samples. At 5 Megahertz, you'd get 20 samples which would mean 10 for the positive portion of the wave and 10 for the lower portion. That might not work out too bad but still might miss some fast spikes. At 500 Kilohertz however you'd get 200 samples which means 100 for the positive portion and 100 for the negative portion (assuming a symmetrical wave of course). That's not bad at all.

So you see it all depends how high the frequency content you want to view is. You'd see the wave pretty well up to about 1 MHz and you'd see the basic properties of the wave at frequencies above that up to the point where the bandwidth rolls off too much.

So for audio it should work pretty nice, provided everything else works the way it should. For a PIC project it depends how high the output pin frequencies are. For a 20MHz PIC the output can change at the rate of 5MHz so you'd see 20 samples which may be enough for digital as long as the bandwidth permits. But for Ham radio it depends on the frequency you want to view.

It would appear the the 50MHz Rigol, with a 10 times higher sampling rate, is worth the extra money over the Owon . You can never have too much bandwidth in an oscilloscope, everything else being equal.

Hi,

The 100MHz scope looks pretty nice. 50MHz not bad either. Never had one myself though.

the DS1052E Hack which turns it into an 1102 is now pointless.

as you can buy a SDS1102CNL for the same price.
it also has ~25% bigger screen.
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back