Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Will this LCD screen work on RS232

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi,
The spec is similar to the HD44780 LCD, 4 or 8 bit parallel data and 3 control lines.

Attachments

• AAesp03.gif
    AAesp03.gif
    51.6 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Quote from the datasheet that you link to:

• Capable of interfacing to 4-bit or 8-bit MPU.
This wording is not clear, but it indicates that the display needs 4 bit or 8 bit parallel data, plus 2 or 3 control lines.

It definitely does need a piggy-back board to accept serial data.

Hope this helps

EDIT: Eric got there first again :D is there a delete post option on this forum?

Hey.... I am from south coast AND Hampshire. We must all be neighbours.

Last edited:
right Ok thanks chaps, so It will need some kind of converter to change serial into parallel, I will look into that :)

Or I guess I could maybe output parallel data straight to the screen? I'm thinking of using an Arduino for prototyping this

:) Im in Southampton

Last edited:
Im in Southampton
Near to Technobots. (and MCU Store, but they do not take callers).

Technobots sell Sparkfun Serial LCD with Atmel processor. I half-remember (except my memory is shot) that the source code is available for download from Sparkfun site. Nice, very readable display, but I find 6 to 9V supply a bit limiting. Modified it for 5V, but then display quality goes down.

Robin - from Fareham - tried Atmel but prefer PICs

EDIT: Silly me... I am rambling on about GLCD, whilst your post is about LCD. Apologies.
Worse still... aren't Soton and Pompy arch rivals... And I am right in the middle of a possible war that I may have started !

Last edited:
hi dan,
Make up a 16 pin PIC, RS232 to LCD driver, must be lots of programs on the web.

Portsmouth

Last edited:
thanks guys, I need to use the screens that we already have (lots & lost of them!) so I will have to try and work it out. I want to get a Arduino to work with the display, maybe I can get it to interface with the display using parallel signals? hmmm

That's true Pompey and Soton are know to have rivalry lol, but I think that's only really among the football community which I'm not really a part of lol

Dan....(You have the same name as my son, small world)... If you are using the arduino, there is a library already with a 4 bit interface... I suggest you link this site to your desktop...tronixstuff tutorials

RE:

no it will not work on RS 232.

RS 232 defines the signaling standard used for communication, it uses +12 and -12 V states to define high and low states.

The LCD screen you mentioned uses several I/Os in parallel. This kind of interface is commonly used in most LCDs and there is nothing new here.

1 I/O each for Rs and R/W and 8 I/Os for data.

To interface it with RS 232 you need an intelligent device like a micro-controller connected to the appropriate level translator (like MAX 232) for the RS 232 stage. The level translator will convert 5V levels from the micro-controller to the +12 or -12 V level as required by the RS 232 specification.

You can design the above system from scratch or use Arduino board as suggested.

Last edited:
it is a small world indeed Ian, good choice on your sons' name :) thanks for the link, those tutorials look well worth a read.

thanks arunb, that's interesting, I didn't know RS232 used 12v for logic, I should have known lol. so one could use a max232 IC and that would convert a serial signal too parallel would it?

thanks

No! not serial to parallel.. the max 323 converts voltage levels.. serial +/- 12v to serial TTL (0-5v, or indeed 0-3.3v if that's your circuit). the on board UART on the micro, does the conversion to parallel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back