Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

will such impedance matching work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bouncingjack

hi everyone.

i'm trying to build an audio amplifier from scratch for a pair of speakers i have.
i've searched the web for schematics to get me going, but all the schematics refer to either 4 or 8 ohm output impedance.

my speakers are 6 ohm each.
so i wonder if i could connect a 2 ohm resistor in series to each of the speakers and "make" it an 8 ohm speaker?

thanks

Amps with 4 ohm output impedance rating will work fine with the 6 ohm speakers. The only difference is that the maximum output power will be less.

Amps with 8 ohm output impedance rating will also likely work although the amp may be overloaded at high power levels (causing clipping or overheating).

In either case you don't want to add a resistor in series with the speakers since it reduces the damping factor and may cause the speaker to sound "muddy".

The output impedance of an amp is just the design impedance it is rated to work with. The actual output impedance of solid-state amps is typically much less than an ohm due to negative feedback in the amp. Tube amps have significantly higher output impedance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back