Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Will soldering kill my picaxe chip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

orange_blob

just got my first picaxe chip, soldered it onto my board and it doesn't work.

would soldering it directly on to the board have killed it?

orange_blob said:
just got my first picaxe chip, soldered it onto my board and it doesn't work.

would soldering it directly on to the board have killed it?

I agree with falleafd, it seems a bizarre choice to solder it in place, it's far better to use a socket. However, PIC's are very sturdy things, if you have any soldering ability at all you shouldn't have damaged it.

Have you programmed the chip?, you don't mention what you are doing with it, nor mention that you have programmed it - with a microcontroller you could have a hardware fault (chip killed prehaps?) or a software fault (where your software isn't written correctly).

nigel, may you help me to find the errors in the program I post out there? I cannot find the errors?

I don't know why as I debug to ADDWF PCL, F, the PCL register changes unexpectedly. And I cannot call the table... ??? I wrote Table many times, but this time, I don't know why it goes wrong??? Perhaps, because I write muchie, and I get confusions. Pls take a look and help meeh.

falleafd said:
nigel, may you help me to find the errors in the program I post out there? I cannot find the errors?

I don't know why as I debug to ADDWF PCL, F, the PCL register changes unexpectedly. And I cannot call the table... ??? I wrote Table many times, but this time, I don't know why it goes wrong??? Perhaps, because I write muchie, and I get confusions. Pls take a look and help meeh.

Does your table cross a 256 byte page boundary?, if so ADDWF PCL will jump to the wrong page of memory. It's vitally important that tables don't cross page boundarys - and if they are not in the first page you have to set the page select bits as well.

thanks,

sorry about the amount of info, but I was just having trouble geting the program to download to the chip, i think the problem must be in the download circuit though.

as this is my first time using a chip like this i didn't realise about the ic sockets until it was already inplace, and was just wondering whether it was very likely to affect the chip

thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back