Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

wild circuit board has mind of its own

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDEB

Have a PIC circuit that outputs a square wave that is upwards of 22khz.
It works but when I place a finger near the board it quits outputting.
The output of the PIC is connected to an LM386.
Have built same w/o any problems.
With project completely assembled, just placing hand near the enclosure causes it to shut off.
Thinking THERMIN PRINCIPLE?
Perhaps a bad decoupling cap as I have several on the board or perhaps 7805 output cap?
any suggestions.
Just picking up one end of assembled case causes it to shut off. YES I checked all connections. Just placing a finger over the board causes havoc.
Going to solder an additional cap on the supply rails.

Can one ground unused PIC pins?
If I touch the MCLR pin the output LED goes off. Touch most any unused PIC pin and I can make the LED go off or on.

Are the unused pins looking for an input in your program? Can you post a drawing of what you have?

schematic and board

made two identical boards and only one acts weird
hope these are viewable?

Attachments

• bat repell bottom.jpg
    bat repell bottom.jpg
    806.4 KB · Views: 137
  • bat repell schematic.jpg
    bat repell schematic.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 139
THANKS Nigel, the solder between the pullup resistor (22K) and D2 (connected to MCLR) was at fault. Re thinking spraying a clear protecive finish to circuit boards after soldering. An ohm meter won't work with a clear protective finish (duh)
I reheated joint and connection was resolved.
Go have a beer and send me the bill--LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back