Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

wifi range limits

Status
Not open for further replies.

BioniC187

Hi all,
I want to link 2 pc's together.
The pc's are really far apart, almost 100m. So i want to link it with 802.11n, since i have read that they can provide range of up to 200m.
Now, my question, has anyone had any experience with using this with a significant distance between the wifi card, and another card or a router?
Coz even for normal wifi, it says up to 10m, but on your laptop the signal strength will be at 60% if you're in the next room 4m away - hence its making me wonder about this

Wireless n is a bit different than b or g.

The key is "line of sight" and obstacles. It's also best to randomly orient the antennas, if it has more than one.

Funky boxes can actually create a wired to wireless to wireless to wired link, just for that hop. Directional antennas can be employed and/or repeaters can be employed.

Repeaters need the MAC address of what wireless signal it's repeating.

I have a room where when I sit in a chair about 5 feet from where the repeater is and the repeater is off, I can;t receive a signal (This was 802.11b).

The position of the repeater really changes the dynamics of the line of sight. The repeater is higher in elevation. For receipt of a signal in the back yard, we only have glass windows to deal with, not cinderblock, a packed shed and a dense closet.

Allright, well either way, i will have to get an n router. I'll order that soon. i think i saw one that had 3 antennas on it, so i could orient them differently. the distance is a lot, but there is not much in between the 2 points. maybe 2 walls, rest is open air.
LOL you gotta be joking! pringles!!!!!

I get wifi from town 5 miles away. It takes a really good antenna. It is all in the antenna.

are there pre made cantennas for sale? It would be nice to have one pre made so that it looks presentable, coz this is going to be visible to many people

I use Linksys WAP54G units with directional antenna at each end for my internet link that comes from my brothers place just over a half mile way.

Outside in line of site from his AP unit I can get a solid connection to his place directly with my laptop and no local antenna or repeater!

Going from my end doing a general scan of signals withthe directional antenna I can pick up all my neighbors home wifi systems within a mile and half from my place despite they not having any antenna on their base units! Most even a mile plus away show up as being 30 - 60% signal too! :D

Do a eBay search for Wifi antenna and you will get loads of different units to pick from.

I use Linksys WAP54G units with directional antenna at each end for my internet link that comes from my brothers place just over a half mile way.

Outside in line of site from his AP unit I can get a solid connection to his place directly with my laptop and no local antenna or repeater!

Going from my end doing a general scan of signals withthe directional antenna I can pick up all my neighbors home wifi systems within a mile and half from my place despite they not having any antenna on their base units! Most even a mile plus away show up as being 30 - 60% signal too! :D

Do a eBay search for Wifi antenna and you will get loads of different units to pick from.

So you can get a signal with your laptop just from his Linksys WAP54G excluding yours?
Coz if thats the case i would only need one of those to help with what i want to do

Yes. Directional antenna will put all their output power in one direction plus focus in what they get all from that same direction as well.

In open line of site a good high gain directional antenna will easily pick up a laptops signal from over half a mile way. ;)

I watched a guy in a cab-over camper at Otter Creek Reservoir poaching free wi-fi from a campground 2 miles away using a homebrew yagi a couple of years ago. It was very nearly line of sight across the water but there were still the campground office walls to deal with. The antenna was clamped to his right hand rear view which he used to aim it. The antenna itself was an impressive piece of brazing too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back