Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

WiFi Connectivity in the house

Status
Not open for further replies.

cfwilks

Router BT Homehub 1.5. Mesh Tower Computer (Year 2000) adjacent to Router. Mesh Notebook (Year 2002). Tests performed with same Belkin USB Adaptor. When I move the Notebook away from the Router, the signal strength drops from very strong to no signal in about 15 feet and no significant obstruction!. Sometimes the Notebook will connect downstairs but usually only when I hold it above my head. When I move the router downstairs, the Tower Computer loses signal. Have gone though online tests with BT India. I am looking for the cheapest solution. My daughters have no problem with connectivity anywhere in or out of the house. They have 2010 Dell and Mac. Do I buy a new computer? Do I wait for the new BT Homehub 3.0 which will mean a new contract. Will a more powerful Router solve the problem? Is the Belkin N Wireless Adaptor bought 2 years ago not up to the job or is it the age of the Mesh Computers. I fear the latter. I retired a few years ago and should not care but as a significant investor in my son's business and looking to implement a new accounting system with remote access, I have to make a decision before the start of the new tax year. Thank you for your opinions.

My daughters have no problem with connectivity anywhere in or out of the house.

That says quite a bit. The signal is there and it is strong as your daughters have no problem connecting.

I retired a few years ago and should not care but as a significant investor in my son's business and looking to implement a new accounting system with remote access, I have to make a decision before the start of the new tax year. Thank you for your opinions.

Based on that I would consider investing in a new system.

Just My Take
Ron

Thank you

I was about to ask about a signal booster but I realise it is likely to be an ugly solution.

There are things you could try. For example like a new USB LAN Wireless card but since your system(s) are older and you are looking at some new projects I just see new systems as a viable long term solution. The girls systems connect without a problem, that tells us that there is plenty of good strong signal out there.

Ron

If this is 802.11 b/g/ or n then a repeater is not ugly. My access point is located in the middle of the house in the basement. Antenna's are oriented randomly. Yep, makes a difference

Use a free program to figure out what channel to use and the best s/n ratio.

I have an area where I can't receive a signal 4 feet from the repeater with the repeater off. The repeater requires no connections except for initial setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back