Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wifi boost

Status
Not open for further replies.

windozeuser

hello, I was wondering if anyone had ideas on how to make a directional antenna booster for wifi to shoot the signal about a mile. I was thinking about using the old way of a pringles can. Then putting that in the center of a coffee can, with a coil wrapped around the pringles can grounded to the coffee can.

I dunno about signal loss for wifi.

Thanks

I attended a presentation on doing exactly that and from that presentation I understood that unless you are licensed to do so, WiFi equipment is not to be modified or used in any way to increase power, range, etc. That is pretty much the case for any device or equipment sold to consumers or commercially here in the US.

Licensed amateur radio operators are allowed, within the limits of their license and only on the WiFi frequencies assigned to amateurs, use antennas, amps, etc. I was quite impressed that with a little bit of effort some rather significant improvements in range could be obtained.

Cans within cans and coils of wire seems a bit of a non-starter to me for 2.4Ghz.

Try this:

JimB

Some University students in Australia got Wi-Fi to go many miles from mountain to mountain by using the curved metal-wire baskets normally used for cooking Chinese food as parabolic dish antenna reflectors. A Google search might find it. :lol:

audioguru said:
Some University students in Australia got Wi-Fi to go many miles from mountain to mountain by using the curved metal-wire baskets normally used for cooking Chinese food as parabolic dish antenna reflectors. A Google search might find it. :lol:
Did you hear about the Chinese students who tried to use an Australian barby grill for the same purpose? Didn't work worth a damn. :wink:

audioguru said:

Here's a link to a site based in N.Z. based on the poor mans wifi. Wifi has been described in the siliconchip mag for a couple of years now and it does make a good read. **broken link removed**

Cheers Bryan :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back