Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wiegand keypad to PIC (or PC) interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgbphil

Hi,
I have an old ROM Security Wiegand randomising keypad which I'd like to connect to a PC or preferably a little PIC to make a basic security panel. It's one of those keypads where you press a button and the numbers jumble up so no one can watch you enter the code.

Question is is there any information on the protocol. I have a pinout, it seems to require 12V and 5V for the interface and has RS232 output...however googling wiegand interfaces result in some sort of 26bit protocol...I'm not sure if connecting it to a PC will result in proper decoding.

Phil

Phil

There is some information on the Wiegand protocol here.
However the raw protocol only has two wires, now you say that your keypad has RS232 output? There are Wiegand to RS232 converters so if it has one of those you may just get RS232 data output. Have you tried connecting it to a terminal emulator and see if you get anything? You should be able to clock it into a micro from what I have found so far. If I come up with anything else I will post another response.

Rupert

Thanks for the info....it looks like it's not RS232 after all. The two wires are for separate sending of either 1 or zero...so I'll need a micro to decode the data anyway.
Still it doesn't look too hard to interface to, should be simple to make a basic access controller. I wonder if anyone else has used a PIC to do so?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back