Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wide range wireless router

Status
Not open for further replies.

sram

Is there a wireless router that will reliably provide good signal to multiple computers in a large house? say two floors with 4 rooms each, or something of the sort. And do range boosters boost the signal in all directions?

define large, in square feet

also define the construction ... wood, steel, concrete, plaster with expanded steel lathe?

any cheapy router should cover a normal house, that is their target market. The linksys WRT54 series is pretty good, I have one on my 1st floor, and have no problems receiving the signal on the 2nd floor, my construction is all wood and drywall... about 2300 sqft

The construction is concrete and the area is 100 meters by 100 meters, so thats 10000 sq meters. let's do the conversion:

10000 sq meters = 107600 sq ft.

quite large compare to your house.

I'm talking about something like this:

**broken link removed**

It is actually one floor, so take out the second floor in that picture and double the area.

I know it is not usual in the US and similar areas, but you can find it sometimes in the middle east where a large family lives together(A father and his married sons living in one house)

ok, well, your average 802.11b/g device router is rated at 100meters indoors ... if the interior walls are made of concrete, they'll probably have rebar in them... that will really cut down on the signal. you'll want to try placing a few APs in central areas and then doing a site survey to find hotspots and deadspots, and adjust accordingly.

an installation that large falls outside the scope of a "home" in terms of wifi, you'll need professional equipment to get efficient coverage, or just a lot of cheapy equipment to blanket the area in microwaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back