Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

wi-fi

Status
Not open for further replies.

amitpj

hi... any buddy have know .. of wi-fi internet . because i need free internet connection and i am craz.. about that so plz help me

First of all, WiFi is not necessarily free. You will often need to buy the internet service and a router, which broadcasts the signal wirelessly. WiFi is really only free if you are close enough to an unsecured network (examples include some coffee shops, Borders, etc.) to get a good signal, and if your computer has wireless capabilities. You should probably first check and see if your computer is WiFi compatible and then go from there.

how to check it is
compatible

If for example you have a laptop you would go to the manufacturers website and look up your model number and see if it included integrated WiFi, likewise for a desktop model. We don't know what you have for a system so how can we possibly tell you?

As to WiFi in general we also don't know your geographical location so there is no way to suggest a place. Here in the US McDonalds offers free WiFi as well as book stores and coffee shops.

Ron

Last edited:
If you have a Windows operating system, you can go to the "Start" menu at the lower left-hand corner of the screen. Click on it and then click on the "control panel." Find the icon that says something like "internet connections." It should tell you what connections your computer can have. If one of them says something like "wireless internet connection," then it is likely that your computer is WiFi compatible.
If you have a different operating system, then I'm afraid I can't help you much, because I only have Windows. If you could post a little more information about your computer, rough location, etc., I'm sure members of this forum will be able to help you.
Good luck!
Der Strom

Ok. So depending on where you are, you may already have an unsecured signal. Click on the "wireless internet connection" icon. If there is a signal close by, it will show it in the window you just opened. If one of them says "unsecured", and has more than one bar (signal strength), click on it and then click "connect" at the bottom of the window. You may have to wait up to 30 seconds for it to connect, so be patient. Once it's connected, you should have free WiFi. From there, you can simply open your internet browser and you'll be online.
If you don't have any nearby signals, you will have to take your computer somewhere that has an unsecured network. Repeat the same process there, and you will be able to browse the internet.

Are you given an option to view available networks?

It would really help to know what operating system you are using. What does the screen say when you first boot up your computer? It must say "Windows... (Something)". I don't know if it is Windows 2000 or Windows XP or what. If you can just give me this information, I will probably be able to help you more.

I'm afraid your image didn't come through because you copied it from your desktop. What does the heading of the window say? What are the first few things it says? This is just to give me an idea of what you have.

no ..firstly when i will open control den i will get wireless internet connection wizard and den when i click on that i will get window and again i will click next ... den it will ask network name..

no ..firstly when i will open control den i will get wireless internet connection wizard and den when i click on that i will get window and again i will click next ... den it will ask network name..

Ok. Try this site:

Windows XP Wireless User Guide

Sections on this website may help you to set up your wireless internet connection. You may need to simply right-click on the "wireless network connection" icon and choose the option that says "view available networks".
I hope this helps, and good luck!
Der Strom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back