Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marks256

Why is it that when i download thing on the net, i start out with fairly fast speeds, but then then speeds slowly die down. What i mean by this is, when ever a download is started, i could start off getting 500KB/s, but towards the end, the speed has fizzled out to almost nothing (3.2KB/s!). It really pisses me off...

It's probably the sites you're downloading from, they're throttling your alloted bandwidth so you don't take too much from the rest of it's users. With the proliferation of high speed internet access sites have to do this to keep a sudden increase in users requests from suddenly saturating it's bandwidth. 3k a second does seem a bit low though, I usually average 20k on most sites.

I would get your connection checked. It sounds like your connection is being dropped. A noisy line also increases the reconnect time and makes the overall bandwidth considerably slower. Can you get a log of when you are connected?

Mike.

Hi Marks you better install an accelerator & run the internet.
Ex: web accelerator etc…

& also if you like you can install download plug INS, extensions in your browser
This will increase your download speed

Marks256 said:
Why is it that when i download thing on the net, i start out with fairly fast speeds, but then then speeds slowly die down. What i mean by this is, when ever a download is started, i could start off getting 500KB/s, but towards the end, the speed has fizzled out to almost nothing (3.2KB/s!). It really pisses me off...

Hi Marks256,
I too observed this reduction. Some cases i had seen increase of average speed even.

on the process of download the the average speed till then is calculated and refreshed. Initially, it shows high as there is no earlier data,

Instead, you always calculate the internat speed with devices like bandwidthplace software, where the time taken for a known bundle is evealuated.

Well see, there is a problem with my internet. IT SUCKS!!! We are supposed to be getting 512KB/s, but it is not anywhere near that, and we should be getting something like 128KB/s upload, but it is more like 10KB/s... :(

Anyways, i was thinking of trying an accelerator...

Also, i cannot do torrents because i can only get (literally) 4KB/s download, and 3KB/s upload (which is minimum)...

If it's DSL complaining about your speed will do nothing, the speed is related to the distance between your house and the nearest switchin station. Personally I ditched DSL this last year and went back to cable, at least in my area it's 2-5 times faster both up and down than what we can get from DSL.

Nigel Goodwin said:
get on to your ISP and complain about your speed.

Yes, Sceadwain is right. I have complained countless times, and they will never do anything about it... It isn't dsl, though... My ISP SUCKS!!!!!!!

It's not DSL? So that means it's cable? I'd personally walk down to the provider and throttle the admin if I get 3kb a second on a cable connection. The 512kb and 128kb limits you mentiond are for DSL. 4KB down and 3KB up sounds like dialup.

Last edited:
Go to a site that tests your upload and download speeds. I can't remember which one rates your speed as it compares with others.

www.dslreports.com/speedtest

I've always used the Java plugin (that's what Google links you to) and I'm usually near my max throughput, about 4.5Mb out of 5Mb.

Part of it may be that before you hit the 'Save' button the download is caching...I've let windows go for a while (get up to grab a drink, etc.) and when I come back and hit save it shows a blazing 20,000 to 40,000k per sec for a couple seconds, then throttles back.

Just use one or two of em.

I get 890kbps download on my "medium speed and price" cable internet. I used to have high speed cable at double the price and it was 5 times faster.
I am 100 times faster now than when I had "56k" dial-up.

Utube always sounds jerky - it is after all mostly jerks that appear their.

Mike.

It's not DSL? So that means it's cable? I'd personally walk down to the provider and throttle the admin if I get 3kb a second on a cable connection. The 512kb and 128kb limits you mentiond are for DSL. 4KB down and 3KB up sounds like dialup.

Well... umm... i am not quite sure what it is... I never really got the terms down... :( It is satellite... So what would you call that?

Yes, i am getting speeds that of dialup on ALL of my downloads. The problem is, when i do a speed test, i score astronomical amounts. I always use speakeasy's speed test. I usually score ~600KB/s download, and 80KB/s upload, but that is wrong.
I know that server times and loads can make a download go slower, but it is not right when ALL of the downloads are SLOWER THAN CRAP!

WILD BLUE ISP SUCKS!!!

i have wildblue at another location, but hughes.net here aint so swift either.
Hughes works better during rain, but has no newserver and the mail server dont like Linux Mozillia.
Support says they only support mickysloth and mac.

This has a lot to do with why I'm working on a pulse transceiver for long range data without clear line of sight. Dont get mad, get even. If I work this out, I'll get better than even, I'll get rich.

I read that latency is a problem with a satellite broadband service, perhaps your downloads error/time-out because of the transmission delays?

Looks like they have plenty of customer complaints:
**broken link removed**

So satellite is broadband? Ok... Then DSL runs on the phone lines with more speed than dial up, right?

Well, either way. Have i mentioned that Wild Blue sucks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back