Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why this strange piezo-buz circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flat5

What is the reason for doing the circuit this way?

Attachments

• piezo-buz 1.gif
    piezo-buz 1.gif
    3.9 KB · Views: 292
I can't see it working, not without something to bias the transistor on slightly.

I can't see it working, not without something to bias the transistor on slightly.
That's what I thought. Either the piezo element has a shunt resistive component, or bias current is provided through the jumper.

EDIT: Figure 9 in **broken link removed** from Murata has a similar circuit.

Last edited:
The circuit was taken from the Proteus v7 samples.
Here is an excerpt from the Murata PDF.
Thanks Roff and et al :)

Attachments

• Self Drive piezoe buz 2.gif
    Self Drive piezoe buz 2.gif
    30.6 KB · Views: 302
Murata's schematic of the oscillator for a piezo beeper uses a piezo with a 3rd electrode, the feedback electrode. The feedback electrode is out-of-phase to the main electrode (it is a Hartley oscillator) so the transistor has positive feedback.
I think it automatically oscillates at the loudest frequency of the piezo/helmholtz cavity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back