Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

WHY SCR not GCR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

extremeads1

yesterday we were introduced about SCR and after studying it my colleague asked me why its a silicon controlled rectifier why not germanium controlled when both are semconductors. i have no answer but i wish to know the answer does any one has the answer pls reply.

Silicon is cheaper, easier to work, and has some better characteristics than germanium. I think it was silicon that has better temperature characteristics and germanium has lower voltage drops (like germanium diodes) or something like that. NOw that you know what to look for you can probably google to find out more.

Germanium melts at 947 degree C, silicon melts at 1400 degree's, carbon about 4000. Long before then it will start to diffuse with it's neighbooring materials destroying/altering it's semi-conductor abilities. Maybe one day we'll have carbon semi conductors =) Some recent advances in vapor deposition of carbon has lead to diamond semi conductors, which blow silicon out of the water. Dopeing and mass production are a bit of an issue right now of course.

Last edited:
ronsimpson said:
The germanium transistors I used are low voltage and have high leakage.
Hey, out of interest, do they still make those? I was trying to look them up a few months ago (vaguely interested in the low VBE), but didn't get very far.

From what little I could find, I got the overall impression they no longer did (like because they were too failure-prone or such?), and that you could only really get them from very old circuits, or from surplus companies who did likewise. Is that the case?

As has already been mentioned, Germanium devices are fairly leaky, this would permanently trigger a thyristor (got over the SCR/GCR thing!) making it completely unusable - plus it would be too low a voltage and current as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back