Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why is the impedance of this cross-coupled MOSFET -1/gm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

genxium

This is a figure I encountered in this article: LC_Oscillator, I calculated the impedance in this way and I got -2/gm, is there anyone can give me a hand? I think maybe I misunderstood something,some concepts about "impedance for port".

My calculation

For ideal NMOS FET, [LATEX]i_g=0[/LATEX], hence denote the voltage difference applied on [LATEX]d_1,d_2[/LATEX] is [LATEX]V[/LATEX], and the corresponding current is [LATEX]I[/LATEX], then

[LATEX]
\left \{ \begin{array}{c} v_{g_1}=v_{d_2}&v_{g_2}=v_{d_1}&v_{s_1}=v_{s_2}\\i_{d_1}\approx g_m \cdot (v_{g_1}-v_{s_1}-v_{th})\\i_{d_2} \approx g_m \cdot (v_{g_2}-v_{s_2}-v_{th})\\I=-i_{d_1}=i_{d_2}\\V=v_{d_2}-v_{d_1} \end{array} \right
[/LATEX]

Hence the equivalent impedance for this component combination is [LATEX]Z=\frac{V}{I}=-\frac{2}{g_m}[/LATEX].

Attachments

• cross coupled FET.png
    cross coupled FET.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 657
How do you get I = -id1 = id2 ? Where is I flowing?
If I is the current difference id1-id2 (tho' it's not apparent from the drawing why it should be), then I = gm*(vg1 - vg2) = gm*(vd2-vd1) = gm*(-V), so Z = V/I = -V/(gm*V) = -1/gm.

Last edited:
How do you get I = -id1 = id2 ? Where is I flowing?
If I is the current difference id1-id2 (tho' it's not apparent from the drawing why it should be), then I = gm*(vg1 - vg2) = gm*(vd2-vd1) = gm*(-V), so Z = V/I = -V/(gm*V) = -1/gm.

Thanks a lot for the reply!

In my opinion,[LATEX] I [/LATEX] is assumed to be flowing into d2, and, out of d1, to comply with the direction of [LATEX]V[/LATEX], hence [LATEX]2I=i_{d_2}-i_{d_1}[/LATEX]

You got -2/gm because you are evaluating Vd2 - Vd1, instead of say just Vd2. Each MOSFET contributes 1/2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back