Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why I have entered this forum - and why I leave it again

Status
Not open for further replies.

The bottom line still is that a highly technical forum like this is not a good place to get beginning information.

Ratch

Not from you!

Others of us like to work hard at making things very simple, generalised AND fun, specifically so a beginner can easily grasp the basic concept and become functional, if only at a beginner level of competence.

Maybe you should restrict your posts to replying to people who have a high level of technical knowlege, and who have asked for very specific information. And those with a better ability to help beginners by simplifiying and generalising things down to a "close enough" explanation can then help beginners without being subjected to long winded pedantic arguments about semi-relevant specifics.

... a highly technical forum like this is not a good place to get beginning information.

I find that both insulting and dismaying. Some of us here have spent a lot of years trying to make things fun and accessable to beginners, most regulars and all the moderators go out of their way to make the forum a good place for beginners.

I would take an opposite view; that if someone wants to argue the specific physics of what happens inside a semiconductor junction that is NOT applicable to a beginner's "how to use a transistor" question on a general electronics forum, it belongs on a semiconductor physics forum.

Yep, I think you have to keep the question in mind during the thread unless someone is way off in the weeds. The question in this case was how to make the sim run. It was clear from the posts the OP wasn't interesed in the details and there was no useful information for him in the questions. And.... He's gone.
I have the same urge sometimes but I'm trying harder to not say anything unless I can be a part of the solution not add to the problem.

MrRB,

Not from you!

Why not? Don't I provide good info? If not, tell me where and when I failed.

Maybe you should restrict your posts to replying to people who have a high level of technical knowlege, and who have asked for very specific information. And those with a better ability to help beginners by simplifiying and generalising things down to a "close enough" explanation can then help beginners without being subjected to long winded pedantic arguments about semi-relevant specifics.

After the question has been answered, then we can discuss it further among ourselves. Isn't that what I do?

I find that both insulting and dismaying. Some of us here have spent a lot of years trying to make things fun and accessable to beginners, most regulars and all the moderators go out of their way to make the forum a good place for beginners.

No, its the truth. Just because you try to make the best of a bad situation does not mean it's the best way to do things.

I would take an opposite view; that if someone wants to argue the specific physics of what happens inside a semiconductor junction that is NOT applicable to a beginner's "how to use a transistor" question on a general electronics forum, it belongs on a semiconductor physics forum.

As I said before, after the question has been answered, then we should be able to go on among ourselves.

Ratch

ronv,

Yep, I think you have to keep the question in mind during the thread unless someone is way off in the weeds. The question in this case was how to make the sim run. It was clear from the posts the OP wasn't interesed in the details and there was no useful information for him in the questions. And.... He's gone.
I have the same urge sometimes but I'm trying harder to not say anything unless I can be a part of the solution not add to the problem.

To whom are you addressing those remarks? Winterstone or me?

Ratch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back