Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

why do you need a starter for a dc motor, and how do they work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you have it backward. AC motors use a start winding or capacitor, at least the ones capable of doing very much work. Except 3 phase motors that are mostly self starting like DC motors.

Single-phase AC motors do not generate a rotating field to start the rotor such as a 3-phase motor naturally has. Thus the rotating field is provided by techniques such as a capacitor or shaded-pole on an auxiliary winding which delays the magnetic field from that winding slightly, causing a rotating field.

Single-phase AC motors do not generate a rotating field to start the rotor such as a 3-phase motor naturally has. Thus the rotating field is provided by techniques such as a capacitor or shaded-pole on an auxiliary winding which delays the magnetic field from that winding slightly, causing a rotating field.

Hi friend, i have a doubt in this, if i remove the capacitor while the single phase motor, what wil happen? it will stop or continues rotating?

Depends on the type of motor. If it's a PSC motor, then it may stop. If it's a capacitor start induction motor, then it will have no effect. If it's a synchonous motor it will stop.

You don't need a starting capacitor. Apply power and spin the rotor by hand a little bit and the motor will take off. It will run in whichever direction you spin it.

Hi friend, i have a doubt in this, if i remove the capacitor while the single phase motor, what wil happen? it will stop or continues rotating?

Hello Gauthamvg,

crutschow is correct. A capacitor start single phase motor has a separate start winding to which the start capacitor is connected through a N.C. centrifugal switch, shifting the phase of the start winding with relation to that of the run winding after power is applied. If the motor is running at nominal speed removing the start cap at about 1/3 to 1/2 of max rpm, physically removing the cap would be redundant since the centrifugal switch would have removed the cap from the start winding already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back