Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why do smaller transistors...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is soooo far from technical and accurate but just thinking about it, it seems intuitive. A blade of grass can wiggle/oscillate much faster than a heavy steel vault door, smaller= more nimble and quick in most cases. I'll stick with that theory.

Less capacitance so they switch faster, less propogation delay because of smaller size, and I'm sure a crapload of other things.

Less capacitance so they switch faster,...

Bingo! As transistors got smaller, the Vdd was also reduced, so the internal node voltages do not have to slew as far.

Ok, thanks guys. I had been wondering about this for a while because of all of the attention given to reductions in transistor size.

Last edited:
Besides reducing power and increase speed, smaller transistor also allow the obvious of putting more transistor on a given size chip The smaller the chip the cheaper they are to make, so it's desirable to get as many transistor on a chip as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back