Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why do people bid on giftcards for higher than their value?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, of course you're right, you could just send a cheque to the seller if they accept it.

How'd paypall screw you?

They held part of my payment for 30 days, per some policy buried in their policy statement. But their website mislead me into believing they would send the whole payment. I call and they hung up on me. I understand they lost a class action law suit for the way they operated, but I don't know the details. Anyway, I never use them.

When ever I buy something on ebay, paypal always tries to 'trick' me into using my bank account, and not my credit card. I have found out they don't get any / as much money when they handle transactions with credit cards... I've never liked paypal.

Either there are lots of idiots, or there's some scam I don't understand. How come every time there's a gift card for auction on Ebay it goes for a little more than it's actual value?

I don't know... these are probably the same baffoons that attend town auctions, willing to pay $8 for a used lawnchair that sells in a department store new for $7. Sometimes I think certain folks just have to walk away from an auction knowing they won the bid, regardless of what it cost them in the end. To them it's about winning and not the costs behind it. I can't tell you how many auctions I've attended where power tools and shop tools sold for barely a dollar or two less than what they sell as brand new with a factory warranty included for the two extra dollars spent !!! Go figure! Used table saws selling for $15 less than new ones! I've learned that the weekday auctions are the best for lower prices and good deals. The weekend auctions bring out the people that just got paid on Friday which keeps prices jacked up.

HiTech, People like that are why I mainly participate in auctions as a seller. For example, videogames are pretty expensive, but I seem to be able to buy a game at a used game store, physical or online, and even if its several months later when I'm done with it I can usually auction it off for enough to buy whatever newer game I like. about 1/4 of the time I sell it for more than I paid. I would feel bad, but I don't lie about the condition of the games, and I'm not making these people get into bidding frenzies.

People will buy anything, even the dumbest of items when marketed cleverly. Take a look at Pet Rocks! The inventor of that idea is a multi-millioner laughing all the way to the bank. He paid for a couple of tiri-axle trucks to dump a pile of round rocks on his property. He then advertised them as Pet Rocks, for $10 or more, complete with a pamphlet on caring for them and teaching them to do tricks like "sit", "stay", and "roll over". Rediculous!

Nahh, can't say the Ipad, that at least actually does something =O

I wonder how much I could sell my colloidal silver machine for? I wonder if cattchels will buy it. :D

Last edited:
Speaking of useless products, what about this cream to relive feminine irritation? It's almost $20 and no matter how much I put on, my wife's mom still annoys me so bad that she nearly drives me insane! Useless!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back