Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why are sockets called Male/Female ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is a sort of anatomy thing. However sockets are female in gender (if we want to assign gender) and plugs are male in gender (if we want to assign gender). I have never seen a female plug or a male socket that I can recall. Now think anatomy and it should be apparent as to gender assignments. :)

Sunday afternoon beer right through the nose on that one.

Ron

Sorry, I couldn't get it. I am a 6th grader. Please help me!

As I recall it was originally named based on the male and female sexual organs, I am sorry if this is too explicit but its the direct answer.

Sorry, I couldn't get it. I am a 6th grader. Please help me!

OK, to simplify Eric's post to hopefully a sixth grade level. Think boy and think girl. Now thing the physical difference. Think about male body and female body. Now do you get the whole plug and socket thing? Remember there are no female plugs and no male sockets. Got the idea yet?

Ron

As I recall it was originally named based on the male and female sexual organs, I am sorry if this is too explicit but its the direct answer.
Oh! I got it. The Female sockets always got hole in it. I am feeling shy.:eek:. I also got why my teacher din't answer.:p
But, why were they so rude originally to base the names in such things. Stupid people.
I think no female member answered this thread too.:p

Here we go, good old tactful wikipedia;

"In electrical and mechanical trades and manufacturing, each of a pair of mating connectors or fasteners is conventionally assigned the designation male or female. The "female" connector is generally a receptacle that connects to and holds the "male" connector.

The assignment is by direct analogy with genitalia and sexual intercourse; the part bearing one or more protrusions, or which fits inside the other, being designated male and the part containing the corresponding indentations or fitting outside the other being female. Extension of the analogy results in the verb to mate being used to describe connecting two ends together."
Gender of connectors and fasteners - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oh! I got it. The Female sockets always got hole in it. I am feeling shy.:eek:. I also got why my teacher din't answer.:p
But, why were they so rude originally to base the names in such things. Stupid people.
I think no female member answered this thread too.:p

hi,
I dont think its a rude name, its just a natural obvious way and also easy to remember.

Some manufacturers use the names 'pins and receptacles' to describe connectors

I guess it's confusing for kids now, in this modern era, where it's okay to be 'gay'. I bet a kid couldn't get the same answer from both of his 'dads'.

I might be all wet, but a "socket" is inherently "female" For example, many connector mfg'ers specify contacts as "pins" (male) or "sockets" (female) Where I got confused is "jack" and "plug" I thought a plug was a male gender,but sometimes plugs have socket connectors. Hmmmm....? I finally learned a plug's body fits inside a jack, regardless of the connector gender. Now, I'm trying to order a 100 pin Hirose board connector, and they have "jacks" "plugs" and "headers" each with either pins or sockets, and I can't tell from the lousy drawings which is which. Damn, it gets confusing out there sometimes. :)

Last edited:
I might be all wet, but a "socket" is inherently "female" For example, many connector mfg'ers specify contacts as "pins" (male) or "sockets" (female) Where I got confused is "jack" and "plug" I thought a plug was a male gender,but sometimes plugs have socket connectors. Hmmmm....? I finally learned a plug's body fits inside a jack, regardless of the connector gender. Now, I'm trying to order a 100 pin Hirose board connector, and they have "jacks" "plugs" and "headers" each with either pins or sockets, and I can't tell from the lousy drawings which is which. Damn, it gets confusing out there sometimes. :)

Perhaps it should have been 'Jacks' and 'Jills' :D

However, as you get jack sockets and jack plugs, it appears to be nothing to do with gender.

The world is such a whacko place that I wouldn't doubt there are fruity engineers out there trying to design "transgender" connectors!

If you follow the Wikipedia link I posted earlier, the following is mentioned;
"Finally, some connectors are hermaphroditic and include both male and female elements in a single unit."

I remember the old GR874 and a few other connectors considered sexless. They have been around for awhile.

Ron

It seems pretty obvious when you realize that sockets are terrible drivers and plugs won't stop to ask for directions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back