Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

why are resolution, accuracy, sensitivity bandwidth, and imput impedance on an osciliscope important

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corky

i have answered a few of these, the resolution i have lead to the screen resolution and that it helps as we can take the information of the screen with more accuracy i started on bandwith but im unsure what the sensitivity bit is, aand the others i cannot find anywhere to research the importance of them, this is a merit question which i would like to get the mark for i dont mind researching if people know where i can read about this. any help would be great thanks

Last edited:
These are EASIER to explain when thinking about a DSO of today.

Let's go in a different order:

Bandwidth: The signal is the FM IF of 10.7 MHz. The Bandwidth of the scope is 5 Mhz. What's gonna happen?
Input

Input Z: The circuit your measuring LOOKS like a 5 Meg resistor to the scope. The scope has a 1 M input Z. What's gonna happen? More importantly what might happen when you 50 ohm Z scope is connected to things?

(A little more complicated: The scope is normally 1M shunted by about 22 pf and scopes are available with 1 M and 50 ohm inputs. Look for info on probe compensation and impedance divider, )

Sensitivity: should be easy. It determines the lowest signal you can measure.

resolution: Resolution is harder to define. Think of graticule on normal scope and the # of bits of the A/D converter on a DSO.

Accuracy: That should be easy. For DSO's look up quantization error. Without cursors, accuracy suffers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back