Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why are charge pumps only available in low output currents?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speakerguy

Why are inductorless, capacitor-based charge pumps only available in 100ma or less from places like TI, Linear, etc? Is there some limiting factor that makes anything more than this have to use an inductive solution? I am wanting a voltage inverter that will operate at a few hundred ma and having trouble finding one (edit: a capacitive one I mean).

Last edited:
Efficiency, and the peak current flows while the pump switch is closed. The peak current is leveled if there is an inductor.

Last edited:
Charge pump ICs like the ICL7660 use Cmos transistors that have a low current at low voltages.

Hi speakerguy,

if you need higher currents refer to DC/DC-converters. They are available as 1W (4pin SIL), 1W DIL-8, 2W (7pin SIL) and 3W DIL-24.

Boncuk

In danger of going off the thread topic,

What about using a transformer, say wind a transformer with 15 turns of 7x3mm copper enameled wire with say 150 turns of 3mm round enameled wire for a higher voltage output then winding the same for the return. Talking about 75-100 amps here. Does a transformer work with an UP voltage then the same voltage using the same transformers wound with the same down voltage at the other end, of course with a heap of loses? This is an idea for the long run I have for my best wind site so if this is total bollocks hey shoot me down.

Cheers Bryan

In danger of going off the thread topic,

What about using a transformer, say wind a transformer with 15 turns of 7x3mm copper enameled wire with say 150 turns of 3mm round enameled wire for a higher voltage output then winding the same for the return. Talking about 75-100 amps here. Does a transformer work with an UP voltage then the same voltage using the same transformers wound with the same down voltage at the other end, of course with a heap of loses? This is an idea for the long run I have for my best wind site so if this is total bollocks hey shoot me down.

Cheers Bryan

Dangerous thing, working with 240V @ 100A :p However, that's the basic idea. Check out **broken link removed** for an example at 24KW. Cheers, mate!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back