Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why are 7-segment displays slanted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonxer

Subject says it all.

Attachments

• slanted_seven_segs.png
    slanted_seven_segs.png
    49.9 KB · Views: 885
Slanting them makes them easier to read? :) The clock in my car, and my alarm clock, and my watch all have all the segments straight. Just about all of the ones specifically made for use in a particular device are straight. But every generic purpose 7 segment I've ever been able to find to buy and use in my projects is slanted. :? I just assumed there must be a better reason than because it might be easier to read, otherwise wouldn't the specially made custom formed ones that go in car radios and wristwatches be that way too?

Waits until you have to connect eight of them together for multiplex, on a vero board.

Then you will ask the question, why don't they put all the pins all on the vertical side instead of top and bottom?

I believe it is to save space. If you slant the digit, you can get a decimal into the space left at the bottom, while maximizing the width of the digit.

If in the case of a colon as used in a clock, not much you can do there, since it is generally in the middle.

Ahhhhh there we go! That sounds reasonable. The digit spans the whole width, and there's room left to fit a decimal point in there. On the custom made ones, if they have no use for a decimal point, they don't stick one on, and don't need the slant to account for it.

elbc1388: I've had 7segs that have the pins vertical along the tall sides, and I've had dual 7segs that have the pins along the top and bottom running horizontally. I must say that I prefer the dual ones with horizontal pins along the top and bottom.

zevon8 said:
I believe it is to save space. If you slant the digit, you can get a decimal into the space left at the bottom, while maximizing the width of the digit.

That cannot be the reason. The digit width in the following image are the same size for both type. But the length of the vertical segment is longer if it is slanted. So it is to maximize the apparant height of the digit to make it look bigger. :D

Attachments

• 7-seg.gif
    7-seg.gif
    3.4 KB · Views: 781
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back