Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why all the sudden interest in ultrasonic dog/cat circuits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarveyH42

Banned
Notice several new threads, and many old ones resurrected. I find it a little alarming that people are wanting to build super-power devices to punish these animals. Cat's do whatever they want, not much you can do to train them. Guess if you destroy their hearing, they won't know when a car is coming, and problem solved...

Any dog can be trained, and its the owner's responsiablity to make sure that its done properly. If your neighbor isn't willing to spend the time training his pet(s), they shouldn't have them. Barking might not be the worse problem you will have with untrained dogs. These neglected dogs are also the ones that bite and attack, since they haven't been taught any better. Teasing or abusing them electronically isn't going to make the situation any better.

The first thing is to talk with the owners. Might even do a little research on the web, and provide them with some training tips. Most people get dogs without a clue as to what their role or responsiblities are in owning one. Of course, some people know everything, and you can't tell them any different.

Next step is the police, city, and animal control. These people understand the dangers of untrained dogs. Everyone knows the serious injuries, and even a few fatalities with larger breeds that eventually get loose on the neighborhood. The authorities should be made aware of a potentially dangerous animal, work with them. That's why you pay taxes.

Cat crapping all over you property, in your garden? Yeah, I hate that too. Been fighting that for a few years, and have tried many different methods, built 5 different ultrasonic schemes. Stuffed old socks in beer bottles, soaked them with various strong smelling chemicals, buried near the problem areas. Got a free case of firecrackers, used those for a while. Have a few othe ideas involving Airsoft... but hasn't been a big enough problem lately. I think I stumbled on a solution though. I was going to clear a bed along the fence line, but only got a few feet when I realized that the oak tree roots were all over, and would be a major pain. Noticed the cats were using the little bit I did for their litter box, and the rest of my yard was left alone. It's off in the back corner of my property, so no big deal. Better then the little surpises I'd have to constantly look for.

HarveyH42 said:
Any dog can be trained, and its the owner's responsiablity to make sure that its done properly.
Thanks man, that's so true. The sale of electronic devices (invisible fences, etc) to control pets has obviously been spurred on by the industry's capitalization of people's fears, ignorance, and laziness. Train your dog - that's how it was done in the good old days - don't pass the buck to someone else or to an electronic device. If you don't have the patience to learn how and follow through, you're probably not responsible enough to have a pet.

The same can be said for parents and their children.

Nigel, never even noticed. I posted this in ****-Chat because it kind of bugs me that people chain a dog up in the backyard, and only spend time with it when they have some spare time. The neighbors think they can fix the problem with an annoying device. It's not the dog's fault, the dog can't get away from it, can't do anything to stop it. It's just the wrong thing to do. A cat would have the option to run.

I've never had these problems with dogs. My last one was huge, well over one hundred pounds, and very few problems. Only barked at the mailman regularly. Couldn't get him to chase after a cat properly, and I walked twice a day, no leash. He learned where he could do his toilet business, and I could tell him 'No' and he would stop if he didn't know the area. Haven't replaced him yet, but have started looking.

HarveyH42 said:
I've never had these problems with dogs. My last one was huge, well over one hundred pounds, and very few problems. Only barked at the mailman regularly.
... and that's only because you trained him to do that to keep the utility bills out of your mailbox, right?:rolleyes: ;)

Actually, he probably thought it was something important, as I would go and get the mail right away. Sometimes we'd run into the mailman while out on walks. The mailman would have his peper spray in hand, but the dog wasn't showing any particular interest, certain nothing aggressive. They do behave a little differently when away from home.

Good 'ole pepper spray! A cycling friend of mine received a stiff fine for clubbing a farmer's loose running dog. Seems that everytime he traveled down that rural road on his bike the dog would agressively chase after him. After enough close calls the cyclist decided to club the dog using his frame-mounted bicycle pump. Now he ruined a $30 pump but the dog got his end of it as well by biting the cyclist's ankle, drawing blood. The farmer was fined for negligence and the cyclist for "predetermination of attacking the animal" rather than calling the authorities to handle the nuisance dog. Now, my cycling friend carries pepper spray on his rides.

I agree with you Harvey 100%. There is a saying that says you can judge a man's heart by how he treats animals. I have found that to be so true. If I were king, animal abuser scumabgs wouldn't be around... :D

HiTech said:
Good 'ole pepper spray! A cycling friend of mine received a stiff fine for clubbing a farmer's loose running dog. Seems that everytime he traveled down that rural road on his bike the dog would agressively chase after him. After enough close calls the cyclist decided to club the dog using his frame-mounted bicycle pump. Now he ruined a $30 pump but the dog got his end of it as well by biting the cyclist's ankle, drawing blood. The farmer was fined for negligence and the cyclist for "predetermination of attacking the animal" rather than calling the authorities to handle the nuisance dog. Now, my cycling friend carries pepper spray on his rides.

So how does substituting one weapon for another help?.

You can spray from a distance without getting bit:p ,no permanent damage to the dog, and less likely to get caught:eek:! Need I say more? lol

EDIT: Call it a good training exercise:rolleyes:

Last edited:
An injured animal is usually a much greater threat. How come the bicycle guy could outrun the farm mutt? Wonder if the dog was just chasing for fun, or looking for a 'quick' snack... Kind wondering what provoked the chase in the first place. Farm animals are usually well cared for and plenty of food. Generally a dog on the farm gets plenty of attention and reasonably well trained. They need to know it's not okay to attack the other animals or dig up the crops. Maybe the dog was Cujo...

Nigel Goodwin said:
So how does substituting one weapon for another help?.
Perhaps Ju Jitsu is the answer, do you teach how to defend yourself against animals?

it's the same with the stun gun thread, 15 pages!!!! as i said in that thread why do so many people want to build a stun gun, when it could (most likely) be illegal?

Not just illegal, but a DIY stungun has a HIGH risk of lethality if you actually were to use it. There are cheap $20 stun guns on the internet that won't kill an average healthy person if someone wants personal defense.

That said, I think most people want to build them for the novelty, and I don't have a problem with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back