Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why 0805?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speakerguy

Bear with me here...

01005 (teeny - I've seen them)
1206 (big)

Does this bother anyone else? In a perfect world, wouldn't the 0805 size be reasonable and follow the 2x1 sizing pattern and be 0804?

Maybe I've been routing too long today. I think I still have some narcotic cough syrup left now that I think about it.

Last edited:
Well 805 is my favourite size as it easily fits between tracks on veroboard.

I see your point though.

Well, I was bored and couldn't find the answer. So, I made a list of sizes using both inch and metric numbers:

There are some sizes for which I did not have the metric/inch equivalents. I don't believe they are necessary to understand my hypotheses.

First, the 2:1 ratio may be an artifact of sampling. Although a lot of sizes fit that pattern, a lot do not fit it.

Second, a hypothetical "804" converted to metric would be a 2010. Since the 2010 is a recognized inch size, it may have been decided to avoid potential confusion and make it an 805, which in metric is a 2012.

Third, things just happen, and the engineers weren't even thinking about the apparent pattern in aspect ratios at the time. :D

John

PS: I can't get the table to post. See the attachment.

Attachments

• sizes.pdf
    21.2 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back