Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Who has a listing of IC packages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcw

I'm looking for information on different IC packages. One circuit I want to play with uses a Fairchild FAN5611...but it comes in a SC-70 package. I'm not very familiar with the SC-70, but it certainly looks like it is too small to solder to, given my limited soldering abilities.

So, question #1, where can I find a listing of packages and their sizes and uses? I assume some packages simply aren't used by DIY hobbyists because of their difficulty to work with.

Second question, exactly what do you use to work with each type of package? Do you have a source for socket adapters and that sort of thing so that you can easily make connections to various sized IC packages?

Some companies make up names for ic packages, like for example maxim wich calls a TSOP package micromax, for names made up by a company themselves you should check the companies website or the device's datasheet..

now for some standard ones
**broken link removed**

For you second question, I try to use DIP (the normal large package) on experiment boards. If a device isn't available in DIP then i make a adapter PCB to convert the pinout to DIP spacing...
When a project is complete and I make a PCB for it I try to use as much smd devices as possible, so I don't have to drill much holes :lol:

rcw said:
I'm looking for information on different IC packages. One circuit I want to play with uses a Fairchild FAN5611...but it comes in a SC-70 package. I'm not very familiar with the SC-70, but it certainly looks like it is too small to solder to, given my limited soldering abilities.

So, question #1, where can I find a listing of packages and their sizes and uses? I assume some packages simply aren't used by DIY hobbyists because of their difficulty to work with.

Will this help? Scroll down the table to the desired package type and then click the "dim" link for drawings related to that package type. This table covers their analog and mixed signal devices.

Thanks to both of you. Exo's package listing is quite helpful for the first question.

ChrisP's link shows me that I can't solder to that tiny thing.

I guess I'll just have to find a different IC to do the job?

Well, you do need a pcb, if you want to build it on veroboard then you can't...

But if you can make a PCB then soldering it won't be too hard, it's only slightly smaller then SOT23...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back