Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

white noise controlled random number generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSC

hey guys,
we have come up with a basic circuit with a BC-548 and LM-358N to generate white noise for a random number generating circuit connected to a x-bit number display that counts upto a certain random number and cuts-off unitil its reset again. we are trying to employ a counter to do this function. the problem we are facing is, we cant figure out, how we relate, and interface and convert this random noise spikes that are generated, into this counter.

Any suggestions n thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Is that a microcontroller-based counter? Lots of microcontrollers have built-in A/D converters, that allow you to convert the analog noise voltage to a digital value for your counter.

See also: related thread;
on the PICList.

ericgibbs said:
hi,
For reference a Zener diode can be used as noise generator, 'pink' or 'white'.

Presumably the BC548 mentioned is connected as a zener diode to create the noise?, it's the common method - it's actually white noise, pink noise is produced by filtering the white noise.

MSC said:
hey guys,
we have come up with a basic circuit with a BC-548 and LM-358N to generate white noise for a random number generating circuit connected to a x-bit number display that counts upto a certain random number and cuts-off unitil its reset again. we are trying to employ a counter to do this function. the problem we are facing is, we cant figure out, how we relate, and interface and convert this random noise spikes that are generated, into this counter.

Any suggestions n thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

what about using a threshold detector and count the time between when a given threshold is exceeded. These times will be random and related to the noise.

gramo said:
lol, its random enough my my uses, and a quick analogue sample at the start on something (eg, a low cost RC circuit) gives a lot of starting places in the random table ;)

I've no problem with the random number sequence, it's just that you need a random number to seed it with! :p

Just like fighting fire with fire, you can combat noise with noise. White noise, sound frequencies spread equally across a given bandwidth, can be used to block out everyday sounds.

Generating a true random number with no bias is not trivial (see True random number generators).

One way to generate bits from a random noise source is to use a comparator to trigger at the zero crossings. You can then select arbitrary groups from this serial bit stream to form a digital number.

While we're on the topic of random noise, why the sudden interest in this three year old thread?

Many of the products claiming to produce white noise are recordings or simulations of wind, waves, and other sounds that are in reality quite a bit more complex than white noise.

I have actually designed exactly the circuit you describe. it is on my website. You dont need a zener diode (although this is traditionally the way to go). The input noise of an LM358 (or an LM324) is so bad, all you need to do is amplify this.

I just set up a dc bias voltage into an LM324 and amplified it with some dc blocking (to amplify only the noise). I then fed this into the ADC on a PIC and used this to generate a random number on an LED display that was displayed using the PIC.

it takes a bit of software to figure out, but is fairly straight forward. performing 100 tests on the output prove that the numbers very seldomly repeat. this is far more random that doing it in code with the input from a clocked source

White noise is also used for masking the symptoms of tinnitus, a medical condition defined by the National Institutes of Health as "hearing noises in your ears when there is no outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back