Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

While I was on vacation I visited...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratchit

The Steward Observatory Mirror Lab, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

This is a place of awe and wonder. It has got to be the premier large mirror manufacturing facility in the world. They pioneered spin casting, which rotates the melted glass within its furnace oven container to develop a parabolic shape. Also developed here were adaptive optics (dynamic mirror distortion) to compensate for atmospheric anomalies.

Currently they are working the Gigantic Magellan Telescope (GMT). This monster uses six 8.4 meter off center paraboloid mirrors, and one center mirror to bring an incredible amount of light to a focus. All the mirrors are of honeycomb construction to reduce weight, and are made of borosilicate glass (Pyrex). Each mirror's paraboloid surface is about one inch thick. The whole structure with the mount and housing will be about 200 feet high, and is scheduled to be operational at a mountain top in Chile in the year 2020. As a comparison, the single 200 inch mirror at the Mount Palomar Observatory is about 5 meters.

In the picture, the technician is working on the final polishing of the second mirror for the GMT. They use silly putty as an abrasive to grind the mirror to within a half-wavelength of light.

Ratch

Last edited:
Hey Ratch! Good to have you back!

Looks like you had a great time. I've been meaning to head out that way myself, but I just don't really have the resources at the moment. Ah well. Maybe sometime soon :D

Thanks for the photos. Are there any more, or did you only take five shots on your vacation? :p ;)

Regards,
Der Strom

Continuation of my vacation

The following are the rest of the pictures.

Ratch

Last edited:
Hi,

Yes, nice pics, nice story too. I've been keeping an eye on this project myself.

I've read that if they point the finished project at the Large Hadron Collider, they will be able to see into the 11th dimension :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back