Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which type of inductor are used in switching regulators

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikhil arora

I was having some inductors and i tried to make some switching regulator using those inductors and ic mc34063 but i was not able to draw good current. some body told me that u might be using RF inductor instead of power inductors, Rf inductors get saturate at low current so u are not getting good current.

is it so, then what is power inductor and how they look like (a toriod coils or what)...

Take a look at Jameco's website and you'll see at least one page of inductors for SMPS. You might be able to get a spec sheet. I think Pulse is one of many manufacturers. You might look at their website and products to see what characteristics are important.

power inductors: heavy duty cores, thick wires, and usually pretty large.
As a general rule, if it looks like a resistor or a chip capacitor (fully encased, usually pretty small) then it's probably not a power inductor.

The inductors in this picture are power inductors I used that were rated for about 8 amps or so:
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back