Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which programmer supports the best range of PICs? Especially the newer ones

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigal_scorpio

Hi to all,

I have just acquired some of the newish PIC12F1822 and 1840 chips and to my dismay my programmer (PicFlash) does not support them. Then I also noticed that it doesn't support the 12F508 that I have a few of.

My programmer is built into my dev board (MikroE Easypic5) and while looking on the ME site I noticed that now they are using a different programmer built into the new Easypic7 dev board, so I expect that even if they keep updating the PicFlash software it won't be with the same urgency as the new programmers software.

I now see that error of my ways in getting a dev board with inbuilt programmer and have become very dissillusioned with the makers. So what is best to do? I need to think about a new programmer, one that WILL do ALL the current PICs and be covered swiftly when new PICs are released.

I don't expect anyone to update the software the same day that a PIC is released but when they have been out for a month or two I do expect that I should be able to use them in the programmer that I have after all paid good money for.

So rant over, what is the best covered and supported programmer out there?

Opinions are welcome as I don't want to make the same mistake again.

Thanks for looking...........Al

Agreed on the PicKit 3.

Hi,

Well it has to be Microchip with their Pickit3 or ICD3 programmer /debuggers.

And you could expect Microchip to promptly support the new one's.

I don't expect anyone to update the software the same day that a PIC is released but when they have been out for a month or two I do expect that I should be able to use them in the programmer that I have after all paid good money for.

l

Last edited:
Wow thanks guys,

I can't believe the number of PICs supported, I didn't even know they made that many! hehe

One question though, on the supported list thE heading among other ones shows PK3P and PK3D. I am guessing this means Programmer P and Debugger D, yes?

Also do the clones like the ones on ebay work ok? They are a LOT cheaper than the real ones.

Thanks Al

To the best of my knowledge the clones on Ebay do not offer firmware updates (thus support for new chips), and you would be in the same boat that you're in now. Do yourself a favor and buy a Microchip programmer/debugger of your choice, and you will thank yourself in the not too distant future

PS: No such thing as a free lunch :) Buy the real deal

Also do the clones like the ones on ebay work ok? They are a LOT cheaper than the real ones.

Thanks Al

Last edited:
I have heard a lot of great things about the PICkit3, but I've heard that the PK2 is actually better in many ways. I think the PK3 has a wider range of supported devices, though. **broken link removed** is a list of some of the devices supported the by the PICkit2. I am having trouble finding a supported device list for the PICkit3, and I have heard there are a lot of issues with it. I would just try a PK2, first.
Der Strom

From the PicKit3 webpage "The PICkit 3 can now also reprogram any PIC microcontroller with a simple push of a button" so that covers all PIC's, but as DerStrom pointed out, many folks prefer the PicKit2.

Like AtomSoft, I personally have both.

. I am having trouble finding a supported device list for the PICkit3,
Der Strom

Last edited:
I have heard a lot of great things about the PICkit3, but I've heard that the PK2 is actually better in many ways. I think the PK3 has a wider range of supported devices, though. **broken link removed** is a list of some of the devices supported the by the PICkit2. I am having trouble finding a supported device list for the PICkit3, and I have heard there are a lot of issues with it. I would just try a PK2, first.
Der Strom

Hi mate, here is the list you were looking for, found it while checking on PK3 :)

Al

Attachments

• MPLAB_IDE_8_80_Release_Notes.zip
    270.5 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:
Heh i would suggest getting a PICKIT 2 and 3... Best combo :)

Hi again Jason,

So why do you have both? Just want to understand better before I shell out my cash!

I'm thinking my PicFlash is ok for the older chips and then the PK3 for the newer? You reckon?

Al

Last edited:
Hi,

The OP says he wants to program the latest chips.

The Pickit2 is effectively obselete, no major device updates for over 2 years.

The Pickit3 is the current model and its gets virutually all the device support for new chips otherwise how can folk use the chips.

As for Clones - forget them - buy the real thing.

The Pickit2 is effectively obselete

Not quite sure I agree with that. The PK2 is still very effective and works on a huge range of chips. It is also easy to use.

I can't really compare it with the PK3 because I haven't used one, but I have used the PICkit2 and still find it very useful. It is definitely not obsolete.

Not quite sure I agree with that. The PK2 is still very effective and works on a huge range of chips. It is also easy to use.

I can't really compare it with the PK3 because I haven't used one, but I have used the PICkit2 and still find it very useful. It is definitely not obsolete.

Hi,

The PK2 is still very effective and works on a huge range of chips. It is also easy to use.

Could not agree more, its one of the greatest programmers ever made considering its price.

However you are quoting me out of context.

bigal_scorpio made a specifiic point about needing to program the latest chips.

If he bought a Pickit2 he would not be able to program those 12F1822 and 12F1840 chips with it, let alone any future releases.

So in that resepct he must go for a PK3 or ICD3 which are the official current models and updated accoringly.

Last edited:
Okay, thanks everyone for your information. I take back what I said about the PK2 not being obsolete. I suppose I misunderstood to some extent what you meant. I apologize for the confusion :p

From what I've seen on this thread so far, it looks like the PK3 would be a better choice.

Regards

Thank you, but I can't open that file. Perhaps upload it to a file-hosting website?
Thanks!

Hi mate, I made it a downloadable now. just open and look at supported.

Al

Attachments

• MPLAB_IDE_8_80_Release_Notes.zip
    270.5 KB · Views: 124
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back