Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

which power supply to use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I just want to know for my hobby projects what type of power supply i need to purchase. I mean to say
1. what is the output voltage i.e i should go for variable supply or fixed supply and what is the maximum voltage i have to choose?
2. what should be the current rating?
3. How many output voltages should be available? (since in one of the stepper motor projects one ic requires the 5V where as the motor itself requires 24V, how to manage in such cases?).

please suggest me how to proceed to choose the power supply (if it is low cost it will be still better).

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Satya

Have you thought about building one?

I'd probably go for a two channel 0~30V, 0~2A, with current limiting. It all depends on your budget?

Best lab supply is a dual output unit. Typically 0 - 20V ballpark, at least 1A more is better.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Thanks for all your replies. Just one more clarification is, which is the best option building one or purchasing? How much approximate saving I can have by building? Your suggestion will help me to take a final decision.

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Satya

I spent a lot of years designing power supplies. I don't think you will save any money. The used dual output I posted above is $70. You can't buy the transformers, chassis, heatsinks and meters for that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back