Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which Power supply is best !

Status
Not open for further replies.

yusuf

Hello guys once again .....

Last edited:
No attachment.

Hello guys once again .....

I want to run 12v relay !
Which power supply is best among the following :

1)12v (500ma) SMPS power supply.
2)12v (500ma) SMPS Transformer + regulator power supply !

Among mentioned above , which power supply is best and reliable !
And with opinions please provide me a reason regarding selected power supply !

Thanks !

The best power supply is the one that works best for the intended application which you fail to mention. Additionally SMPS supplies have transformers just like linear have transformers. SMPS means Switched Mode Power Supply so what exactly are you asking? With or without regulation? Regulation being the only difference I see above with two SMPS supplies. What is the app and what is the allowable ripple?

The application determines which supply type would be best. There are considerations like cost included in the decision making process.

The practice of following the SMPS with a linear P/S is to reduce ripple in the output and increase transient response speed. If you are just driving a relay, it won't need that added performance so it's a waste of money.

If the relay is the only thing you are running from the supply all you really need is a little transformer and a bridge rectifier - no regulator.

The most reliable part is the one you didn't have to put in.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back