Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which pins is used for program the PIC16F873?

Status
Not open for further replies.

simpsonss

hi,

I'm building a PIC programmer. i'm having some problems in programming the PIC 16F873. My programmer was able to program PIC 16F877A but not for PIC 16F873. i'm just wonder which few pins are actually used for program the chip?
As what i know, RB7, RB6, /MCLR, Vss, Vdd. Any other pins need to be connected? where should OSC1 and OSC2 connect to?

thank you.

hi,

I'm building a PIC programmer. i'm having some problems in programming the PIC 16F873. My programmer was able to program PIC 16F877A but not for PIC 16F873. i'm just wonder which few pins are actually used for program the chip?
As what i know, RB7, RB6, /MCLR, Vss, Vdd. Any other pins need to be connected? where should OSC1 and OSC2 connect to?

thank you.

hi,
You have not stated PGM [pin24] RB3

Last edited:
If you can program PIC16F877A without using PGM (high voltage programming), then you can do the same with PIC16F873.
What programmer are you using?
What software are you using?
What are the configuration settings?

According to the datasheet:
/mclr/Vpp = pin pin 1
Vdd = pin 20
Vss = pin 8 and pin 19
PGC = pin 27
PGD = pin 28

No need to connect osc1 and osc2. And no need for PGM, unless you're doing low voltage programming. What kind of programmer are you building? Have you selected the right chip before you try to program? Any error messages?

VPP - PGC - PGC are the main for programming

I think VPP = Voltage Programming Power or Voltage Point to Point
PGC - Program Clock
PGD - Program Data

Then you need the vdd/vss for power to the chip of course.

Last edited:
hi,

thank you.

Yeah, I ran into the same problems recently. It's what they don't tell you that gets you in trouble. Your '873 is probably programmed okay, you just don't see any results because it has to have an oscillator to operate. No internal osc on that family. Just for quickies, run a 4.7K resistor Vdd to the osc1 pin, with a very small cap to ground. Your device should activate then.

For verification, check the data sheet in Section 12, "Special Features of the CPU" page 120.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back