Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which Pin only used to program the PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragens

hi,

im kinda new in this field, i want to know which pin are used to program the PIC... there is several different number of pin but it still got same pin name example like TX/RX... i want to know which pin only is use when we want program the PIC... in my college they got only maximum 40 pin slot for program/transmitting data to PIC... so i could compare via datasheet and use jumper to the pin that used only to program the PIC...

sorry i not good in english...

Check the datasheet for the particular PIC you will be using. It will show the pinout.

Check the datasheet for the particular PIC you will be using. It will show the pinout.

i cant find it... i dun even know a thing about PIC... i check already at PIC newcomers guide... still dun get a thing... which pin is needed only when we want to program the PIC... i mean we dun have to connect all 40 pin in the 40 pin socket right if need to program right? if i use 48 pin or bigger, i dun have the socket... so i just want to use jumper for the pin that used...

Please use full English words and not "txt speak", those are the forum rules. :)

To program a PIC requires 3 pins;
PGC (program clock)
PGD (program data)
Vpp (prog voltage, MCLR pin)

and the PIC also needs the Vdd (ie +5v) and GND connected so it has power!

The PIC pinout in the datasheet will have those 5 pins clearly labelled.

Also, in the chapter "special features of the CPU" there is usually a small section on ICSP (in circuit serial programming) which has a diagram showing how to connect those pins.

Please use full English words and not "txt speak", those are the forum rules. :)

PGC (program clock)
PGD (program data)

Also, in the chapter "special features of the CPU" there is usually a small section on ICSP (in circuit serial programming) which has a diagram showing how to connect those pins.

hehe sorry... too many chat in games... i not good in english... thank you! you really helpful! so it just need 5 pin... i will test it when i got the PIC...

PGC (program clock)
PGD (program data)

i already test it but i got error when i write the program to PIC... the error state about 10.47V or something... i connect those pin to the PIC 40 pin slot but just use the needed one... MCLR(VPP), VDD, GND, RB7 and RB6... i found this in datasheet special features of the CPU but i think it state as debugger or something... it need same pin as you state...

What PIC do you have? PIC16F877? PIC18F1220? A part number is necessary, and from there you should be able to find a datasheet for it on the Microchip website.

The chips are usually powered by 5 volts. You must NOT put in more than this, because it risks damaging it. That may be what the error is saying--the voltage is much too high. Get a 7805 voltage regulator to lower the voltage to the needed 5 volts.

What PIC do you have? PIC16F877? PIC18F1220? A part number is necessary, and from there you should be able to find a datasheet for it on the Microchip website.

The chips are usually powered by 5 volts. You must NOT put in more than this, because it risks damaging it. That may be what the error is saying--the voltage is much too high. Get a 7805 voltage regulator to lower the voltage to the needed 5 volts.

i use PIC16F877A... the board support it if just put it on the slot to program it... but if i just use jumper to the slot that only needed pin, it come out error with 10.47v... i miss some pin?

chip dead.PNG

I think you may need a new one...

Another question to ask about PIC programming is what are you using TO program the pic? The above info is valid for serial programming, but may not be if you are using an old parallel programmer. You say that the programmer you have has a 40 pin socket, so it may not support serial programming. If it does, you need to find out what pins of the 40 pin socket are to be used for serial programming. You'll need to check the information on the programmer to find that info. Also, different PICs require different programming algorithms. You need to make sure that the programmer supports what the target chip needs.

For your MAX232 question, you can find that information on the datasheets. Many chips come in different packages, and may be used for different operation temperature ranges. Specifically, the MAX232IN is in a DIP (N) package and the MAX232ID is in a SOIC (D) package. Both are rated for -40 to +85C (I). One thing you need to watch out for is the different part numbering systems that different manufacturers use. The base part number may be the same, but different companies often use prefix and suffix letters in different ways. The numbers I have quoted above are from TI.

Another question to ask about PIC programming is what are you using TO program the pic? The above info is valid for serial programming, but may not be if you are using an old parallel programmer. You say that the programmer you have has a 40 pin socket, so it may not support serial programming. If it does, you need to find out what pins of the 40 pin socket are to be used for serial programming. You'll need to check the information on the programmer to find that info. Also, different PICs require different programming algorithms. You need to make sure that the programmer supports what the target chip needs.

For your MAX232 question, you can find that information on the datasheets. Many chips come in different packages, and may be used for different operation temperature ranges. Specifically, the MAX232IN is in a DIP (N) package and the MAX232ID is in a SOIC (D) package. Both are rated for -40 to +85C (I). One thing you need to watch out for is the different part numbering systems that different manufacturers use. The base part number may be the same, but different companies often use prefix and suffix letters in different ways. The numbers I have quoted above are from TI.

its training kits... i think it use ICSP programmer from MikroC that use TYPE B USB... it has 3 slot and can program 3 type of PIC, 40 pin, 18 pin, and 8 pin but only can put 1 PIC at a time...

for serial programmer (MAX232) that i want to build my self so i do not need go to lab every time i want test/program my PIC... i bought MAX232CPE... but i do not find any schematic that not using PIC for the programmer yet... i mean it has MAX232,several capacitor, diode, resistor, Sub Type D connector then connection to the PIC that i want to program...

Why buy a part until you have a schematic that shows that you need it? You probably don't need 232 anything for programming the PICs.

The easiest choice for a programmer is one of the PicKit programmers from Microchip, or one of the knock-off equivalents.

Why buy a part until you have a schematic that shows that you need it? You probably don't need 232 anything for programming the PICs.

The easiest choice for a programmer is one of the PicKit programmers from Microchip, or one of the knock-off equivalents.

I agree. Just buy a PICkit 2 or 3, or buy a Junebug. It'll save you a lot of trouble in the long run, and will probably even cost less than if you try to build one yourself (not to mention the cost of PICs if you keep destroying them). :p

I agree. Just buy a PICkit 2 or 3, or buy a Junebug. It'll save you a lot of trouble in the long run, and will probably even cost less than if you try to build one yourself (not to mention the cost of PICs if you keep destroying them). :p

to learn and understand thing... when my project done, i need to explain many thing so i try build it by myself first so i can understand more( What lecturer said )...

schematic from stolz page i cant really understand... it need 1 PIC and MAX232 to program another PIC?

If you are using pic16f877a.... Try and make this.... Its a good programmer.. https://www.oshonsoft.com/picprogserial.html

i will try it out later when i got the component... right now i already make this one : https://extremeelectronics.co.in/avr-tutorials/rs232-communication-the-level-conversion/

but i cant make it working in Mikro C pro... i do not know how to setting it... i use win7 64bit... i also connect 1 USB as the power source at the MAX232 pin 2(+) and pin 6(-) and i make it to power the PIC16F877A also... but it run hot... when i plug out the USB for voltage source it not produce heat.. i use laptop, so i use the USB 232 Converter... to make it run i use 1 usb and 1 232 converter at my laptop... is it my config wrong?

Here i make schematic in Proteus : Converter.png

i dun know how to upload attachment file... when i connect USB RS232 nothing happen, when i put power via USB, the PIC run hot like fever body but still can not program the PIC... I need install driver or something? if i need it where can i get it? why it hot?

You can only program a pic via serial if you load a bootloader....

To program a pic you need to use PGC, PGD, MCLR Vdd and Vss.... Via a pickit2/3 or home made hardware.... Using software to suit the design..

The MCLR is HVP ( high voltage programming pin) this is the one that needs 12.5v+ whilst programming... Look at the circuit I showed you.

The other option is to use Nigel's hardware ( in my tutorial ). I don't think Nigel's maintains the software anymore but I'm pretty sure it does the pic16f877a

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back