Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

which one is the best Oscilloscope brand

Status
Not open for further replies.

sidharth

Hi friends,

I am just a beginner, so planning for one with digital + storage BUT ...
Which is the best & Reliable oscilloscope brand & model for 100mhz digital storage oscilloscope?
What about OWON? i know it is cheep so is it worth buying it or just waist of
money?

Thanks
sid

Last edited:
I own a DSO-2250, 8 bit 250 Msps USB DSO. It uses the PC's screen, which is fine for me. It's very handy and cost ~$300 inc shipping. Unfortunately the software that comes with it is not the best and there is a large amount of background noise in the hardware.

Rigol is quite alright & can be cheap - a colleague had a one, something like 50Msps and upgraded the firmware to allow 100Msps (both the 50/100 MHz versions use the same ADCs, just the extra performance is locked out on the check model). NOTE: I'm not actually sure about the sample rate of his DSO, it might be different.

The main problem with the both of the above units is the sample rate is reduced depending on the zoom level - so you cant zoom in on a stored screen very far at all. Also, the rigol apparently suffered badly from aliasing.

Sorry, that's just off the top of my head - which is not functioning well at the moment... so take with a grain of salt & make sure you research any suggestions people give you.

There are so many good DSO in market..
Depend on your BUDGET! + where do you live...taxes may burdon you more!

The cheapest way to get a 100MHz DSO is to get a Rigol DS1052E ($400) and do a simple mod (I think you just have to replace a couple resistors, do a firmware flash, and voila) to turn it into a DS1102E ($800).

If you need something cheaper the Stingray DS1M12 is alright for a beginner scope, but I don't think it can do 100MHz.

Some of the top oscilloscope brands are Tektronix, Agilent, LeCroy, but none of them are cheap, as would be expected.

I got a Beckman Oscope and signal generator for a really decent price. It's only 20Mhz but that seems to do OK for most anything I have tried to use it for. Look around at Ebay and CL, I got both of mine shipped to the door for less than a hundred bucks. Deals are especially easy to get now that a lot of the old mom and pop electronics shops are getting out of the business. Seems its cheaper to just replace most consumer electronics than repair em anymore. Or at least that is the mindset I have been seeing. So I have availed myself of the cheap test equipment whenever and wherever possible. Just my .02, and trust me I am a new new newbie.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back