Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which Microcontroller to use? A newbie asking for help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

perpetual_dream

Hey,
What am trying to do is to control a robot (stepper motor) through network. Here is what am trying to do **broken link removed**

I want to send the commands from one computer to another and based on the commands the stepper motor movement is going to take place. The output from the second computer to the microcontroller is through the serial port (one bit a time). The microcontroller is then to control the movement of the stepper motor. Well there is nothing special that I truly need when it comes to the project. I have a previous experience in programming in assembly language. I dont know much about microcontrollers, Could you please recommend a good microcontroller that could handle such functionality, what if I need to control more than one stepper motor? Any good references that are related to the subject?

Thanks

Re: Which Microcontroller to use? A newbie asking for help :

perpetual_dream said:
Hey,
What am trying to do is to control a robot (stepper motor) through network. Here is what am trying to do **broken link removed**

I want to send the commands from one computer to another and based on the commands the stepper motor movement is going to take place. The output from the second computer to the microcontroller is through the serial port (one bit a time). The microcontroller is then to control the movement of the stepper motor. Well there is nothing special that I truly need when it comes to the project. I have a previous experience in programming in assembly language. I dont know much about microcontrollers, Could you please recommend a good microcontroller that could handle such functionality, what if I need to control more than one stepper motor? Any good references that are related to the subject?

A PIC16F628 (18 pin) would be more than enough, you could control more than one stepper with it as well. If you wanted just one stepper motor there are various 8 pin PIC's available as well.

I'm presuming you do mean steppers?, the diagram shows a servo and a DC motor.

Well I have no previous experience with motors... Would the PIC you recommended be able to control a servo motor and DC motor too ? I know am sounding stupid right now but am total newbie to to motors and micro-controllers, what is the programming language of the PIC you recommended? Is it re-programmable?

perpetual_dream said:
Well I have no previous experience with motors... Would the PIC you recommended be able to control a servo motor and DC motor too ? I know am sounding stupid right now but am total newbie to to motors and micro-controllers, what is the programming language of the PIC you recommended? Is it re-programmable?

Yes, it's re-programmable, the recommended language is assembler, which is free from MicroChip. You can easily control a servo or DC motor as well.

It depends what instruction set you are (or want to be) comfortable with, and the size restrictions you have on the circuit board.

A PIC is a wise choice if you are wanting a very small microcontroller.

I personally use 8051 based microcontrollers, because I know with it, that I can modify single bits, and entire bytes, and they can be connected to external memory. Also, I think they are easy to learn.

An "assembler" is a middleman. In most cases, it is software that converts a file into correct byte codes which is sent to your hardware.

...re-programmable?
Any chip that includes a flash, an EPROM, or an EEPROM is reprogrammable. many microcontrollers are reprogrammable.
EPROMS are only reprogrammable if you use special light to erase them every time.

Thanks for the reply, Unfortunately I went and asked about the PIC16F628 microcontroller but it isnt available in the electronics shop, The microcontrollers Ive found were PIC16F84 & PIC16F54 . Do any of them fits my project? Are they easily programmable?
Thanks a lot

perpetual_dream said:
Thanks for the reply, Unfortunately I went and asked about the PIC16F628 microcontroller but it isnt available in the electronics shop, The microcontrollers Ive found were PIC16F84 & PIC16F54 . Do any of them fits my project? Are they easily programmable?
Thanks a lot

Yes, they are both easily programmable, but the 16F84 was replaced by the cheaper, higher spec, 16F628 well before the 21st century. You really shouldn't be using the 84 these days, and you certainly shouldn't be buying them! - why not buy the 628 by mail order?.

I think all this talk of microcontroller selection is a bit premature. I would first spend some time understanding servo and stepper motor control. Once you have those basics, you will beter understand the microcontroller needs. Google has lots of info on both.

For servos, check this out https://www.imagesco.com/articles/picservo/01.html

For stepper control for robots, I particularly like the book: Building Robot Drive Trains by by Clark & Owings. Lots of practical information on motor control.

Your diagram, by the way, says "dc motor control". I assume the diagram is incorrect. However, DC motors will be simpler than steppers to control.

Once you get the motor/servo stuff under your belt, you will find that the F84 will work, even if it is old and obsolete several times over. Note that it doesn't have built in PWM hardware. The 16F628 as mentioned above does have one pwm module. larger pics like the 16F877 have 2. A lot depends on your design requirements.

i'm currently doing my project also.. and i'm using motorola 68HC11 E series. it is quite easy to be used.

Thank you guys... you are being very helpful
Well all I need is to control a robot through network, Im not looking for a special or complicated design, Is the PIC16F84 considered enough to do the job of recieving the commands from the other computer? and controlling stepper, DC Or servo motors. All I need is a simple control for a robot, I dont really care much about the type of the motors, I want anything that can be used to control it, and I will be happy if I can get some ideas from you.

And I can't order a chip because I have to complete this project, soon very soon and ordering will take much of my time.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back