Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

which MC

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrebr

Hi guys.
I'm a newbe to Micro Controllers, but I've been working with PLC systems in 12 years and programming VB in 6 years.
Recently, I've been thinking of a tv show I've seen on discovery. "Prototype this"
And the stuff they make on the show, its really awesome!
I could make a lot of the same stuff with a PLC, but it's not really the same.
I need I/O. analog and digital inn and output.

So here's my question:
-What do I need to start. Kits, drawings, annything...
-What type of Micro Controllers shoult I start with? I've used VB language, but I could convert my head to learn C#/C++. (which one is the easiest to learn, which one is mostly used)

Best regards
André

I won't go into great detail here so inquire about anything you need clarified. Let it be said that everyone has their opinions on matters like these so here are mine.

PIC micros (By Microchip Technology Inc. is a Leading Provider of Microcontroller and Analog Semiconductors, providing low-risk product development, lower total system cost and faster time to market for thousands of diverse customer applications worldwide.) are a good starting point, they're cheap and so are entry programmers. A lot of people love the Arduino and Picaxe chips/development kits but if you're even remotely serious about projects and plan to make several they will quickly get expensive.

To program chips at a hobby or entry level you can build a programmer for next to nothing (JDM Programmer) or buy a Microchip made one (PicKit 2 , stick with version 2, version 3 doesn't provide anything to justify a higher cost).

C is the preferred language of many embedded designers, assembly and BASIC are also popular. I like C because it's a little faster to code in and easy to learn. Assembly can do things C can't, timing can be an issue, but C will do most of what you would need.

For a compiler I'd look at SDCC or PICC Lite.

Please everyone keep in mind these are MY opinions. I know comparing Atmel vs PIC and C vs ASM almost always starts flame wars. If you disagree state why and mention your preference.

It seems a lot of people have had problems with JDM programmers.

Perhaps a solution using LVP would be a better low cost solution.

Good point, the JDM programmer can be trouble if you own a laptop or newer desktop. In almost all cases a USB-to-serial adapter cannot be used. The reason the JDM can be difficult is because not all serial ports provide the full voltage swing the RS232 spec allows for and the JDM requires.

If you are used to VB then take a look at SwordFish Basic. It is the closest you will find to VB on a Microcontroller. It only works on the Microchip Pic18 range but that is a good range to start with. If you don't want to stick with basic then I would suggest C. Microchip do a free version of their C18 compiler.

Mike.

I'd recommend the Nano Series from BasicMicro.com. These are PIC processors. They come as 18-pin ($8), 28-pin ($9) and 40-pin ($11) versions, so you have a choice between cost and the number of I/O pins. The beauty part is the free(!!) BASIC designed for these, which is quite powerful. Another plus is the fact that these are bootloaders, which means you just need a PC serial port to program them. An inexpensive ($17) USB-driven programmer, using just a 3-pin header, can be had for programming, then used for serial communications when programming is done. This means, if you have some breadboarding equipment, a 5V AC adapter or adjustable power supply , and a few components already, you can be programming useful circuits for $25 and some study.
Check them out at **broken link removed**
Just a thought.

Hi guys,

I take advantage of that topic to ask a question. I am also new to microcontrollers.
I would like to have some advice from you in order to know what to buy. I was recently exploring the
Microchip web page, and liked the : PICkit 3 Debug Express, but I am not really sure if that is a really good starting point for me. I would like to know whether that has all I need, including the software to develop the C code.

Regards

Hi guys,

I take advantage of that topic to ask a question. I am also new to microcontrollers.
I would like to have some advice from you in order to know what to buy. I was recently exploring the
Microchip web page, and liked the : PICkit 3 Debug Express, but I am not really sure if that is a really good starting point for me. I would like to know whether that has all I need, including the software to develop the C code.

Regards

As long as you choose the 18F series processors there's a free C compiler available - it does lose some optimisation after a trial period (unless you pay for it) but it still remains fully functional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back