Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which Is Better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danka

If I MUST have an LED Driver either 12" from the Power Source OR... 12" from the LED, which is the best of the two?? I don't like either but ONE of these will need to happen.

This is a 12V DC 700 MA Driver and a 12V DC LED.

If anyone knows which will cause the least problems, I'd appreciate the input.
Thanks. Danka.

Since the task of the LED driver is to regulate the current to the LEDs, it should be as close as possible to the LEDs. A bit of resistance/impedance between the power source and the LED driver shouldn't affect it...

12 inches is not to far, but I would still twist the +12 and ground wires together to reduce the inductance and make sure the input to the driver is well decoupled.

Unless you require high speed operation of the LED, the difference between having 12 inches of wire in either location is likely to be undetectable.

Thanks Ron & Mike, I appreciate the help. This is for a lamp as you might have guessed. I am machining the head of the lamp which is as well, the heatsink. I was in hopes to leave the puck in the base but I can re-do the design a little and get it into the head.

Again, I sure appreciate the words of wisdom.

THANKS! Danka

Unless you require high speed operation of the LED, the difference between having 12 inches of wire in either location is likely to be undetectable.

Thanks Carl! It would save me some work and machine time to leave it in the base. There is no strobing of the LED, It will have a dimmer but I wouldn't think that should cause any problem. I sure appreciate the input.

Many Thanks. Danka

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back