Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which IC is this orange thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
how the hell should we know? we cant see the text on them now can we?

They are quite likely to be DIP resistors, and we know because we have used them before in this application.

It is a resistor network. If you gave us the name and numbers on the part we could tell you much more! I am not 100% certain because of the lack of information.
**broken link removed**

@bloody-orc, if I could see the text on them, I would not ask. How can you be such smart?

@Papabravo and @ronsimpson, thank you for your info. Probably they're networks. I don't have any part name or number, or any part list for this card.

The_UnforgiveN said:
@bloody-orc, if I could see the text on them, I would not ask. How can you be such smart?

@Papabravo and @ronsimpson, thank you for your info. Probably they're networks. I don't have any part name or number, or any part list for this card.

Not very nice thing to say, for somebody asking help...
We can see there is something printed on the chips, just can't read the numbers. If you provide a close-up of the chip, or type the numbers/letters, we might be able to identify them in better detail. Picture would be best, looks like a logo on there, might tell who made them...

The_UnforgiveN said:

Too bad. You probably won't have much luck duplicating the card either. I guess that is what you get when you ask someone to reverse engineer or copy something instead of designing a new and better one. BTW - great movie!

Hey dudes, It's not a secret that I don't have these cards. I've told it already.

I'm designing a stepper controller card for my mini CNC. I've searched too much for what other people using. I've nearly completed my boards PCB at ARES. Then I came across with these FET3 and FET4 boards and wonder that why they use that orange stuff for a controller card. Because I've not seen it before at any other controller.

Thats all. If you'r gonna help me than do it, or if you'r not, then don't blame me like that! It's not very complicated thing to create a stepper controller design. I would not spend my days for duplicating such a straight board.

Is that OK?

Could they be optical isolators? A lot of optocouplers I see are in ceramic packages like that.

In my opinion the power mosfet's are driven by 3906 bjt's and the lack of discrete resistors around those transistors suggests that the orange IC's might be resistor networks.

Last edited:
It looks identical to a Bourns 4116R resistor network, if you enhance the pic, it reads 102, in the location Bourns mark the resistor value 102==1K0

Also the manufacture date code is located in the same position as a Bourns

In left lower corner you can just make out the 'B' logo, next to the pin# 1 mark.

Last edited:
If he wanted to copy it he could buy one and do that. Here is the original website. **broken link removed**

I have same colured ic-resistor pack. They r resistor film pack. You can control with multimeter how much k.ohm or ohm.
For example 14 pins. 1. pin and 14.pin together(mostly). But any why u can test or try to find datasheet.

what is the advantage of using that high-current driver IC (the ones with the heavy duty pins in the center), only to have its outputs routed through a resistor network, into bjts ultimately controlling mosfets.

wouldn't it be simpler to have the driver IC directly drive some power bjt's or mosfets?

justDIY said:
what is the advantage of using that high-current driver IC (the ones with the heavy duty pins in the center), only to have its outputs routed through a resistor network, into bjts ultimately controlling mosfets.

wouldn't it be simpler to have the driver IC directly drive some power bjt's or mosfets?
What makes you think that current is going through the resistor packs? They could be just for biasing. Without a circuit diagram we can speculate endlessly and still be full of brown.

I always use what I call "sacrificial parts" in this type of design. Anything that has a user do the connections to the power circuits, or where a simple mistake could result in destruction of the board/unit. Especially with FETs that will often fail shorted, a destroyed driver and PCB is easy to avoid with a 2 cent 1 or 10 Ohm resistor. I will normally have spare spots for replacement FETs on th PCB where they are paralleled, so when ( notice I said when, not if ) a FET dies, it is easy to clip out and solder a new one in a clean spot.

I guarantee that these are driver resistors, in series with the gates / base of the output device, most likely a FET.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back