Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which fly-back protection diode to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecritic

I want to use this mosfet irfz44n, to drive a highly inductive load, (Coils of a coilgun). Which fly-back protection diode do you recommend.
(I will be using 12V system and the coils will draw around 6A).

Since your coil is basically an air-core coil, it has much less inductance than say a relay or a solenoid. The diode has to carry the coil current, but only for a few msec. Even a nominal 1A 1N400X will handle a 6A pulse provided it happens less than a few times per second. Look at the data sheet. It shows the derating from the non-recurring max pulse based on how frequently it happens...

Thanks for the response, Mike.
Since the coils would have an iron rod (moving through them), I thought they had high inductance. And also because they produced deadly sparks when connecting via bare wires, I thought they need good fly-back protection.
I am going to use 1n4007 then.

The peak reverse voltage across the diode is the applied voltage to coil, so even a 1N4001 will likely work.

1n4000 series are rated for 30A Ifsm.
Are 1n4000 series capable of quicly conduction in the forward direction, so that the mosfet won't experience any spikes? When do i need to use fast diodes such as 1N4148?

Last edited:
The 1N4148 is a small-signal diode, not a rectifier. If you think you need a rectifier that turns on faster than a 1N400X, use a 1A Schottky.

hi mike,
sorry to ask basic electronics, but whats the difference between rectifier diode & small signal diode? (I thought they are distinguished by there current capacity and response time) and why do I need rectifier diode here?
The datasheet says that 1N4148 is a high speed diode. (I have been using it for fly-back protection from relays, in several of my circuits)

The 4148 is only good for 2 amps peak, the 4001 30 amps, or for a dime more you can use a 1N5818 (25 amp schottky).

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back