Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

which diode may be used in rectifier circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parth86

I am looking advice how to know which component may be used in circuit.I want to make half wave rectifier circuit for practice I know I need AC voltage source, diode and load resistor

voltage source= 12v ac 60mhz
load resistor = 100 ohms
diode=silicon (i am using silicon diode)

now i have choice for silicon diode like 1N4007, 1N4001, 1N4005.....and so
here I don't understand which one should i used and why 1N4007 or 1N4001

so please suggest me advice how to select diode for half wave, full wave and bridge rectifier circuit

You select it based upon the maximum voltage. For a 12V AC signal the peak voltage is 1.4 * 12 = 16.8V so a 25V or greater diode rating would be fine. If you filter the diode output to get steady DC than that will double the maximum voltage across the diode to about 34V. In that case you would use a 50V or greater diode rating.

You said the frequency is only 60mHz which is extremely low. Maybe you mean the radio frequency of 60MHz? It is very high.
Maybe you mean the electrical frequency in North American homes of 60Hz?

The 1N400x rectifier diodes are designed for 50Hz, 60Hz or less.

how to select filter capacitor which may be used electrolytic , tantalum Ceramic Capacitors and what may be max value

how to select filter capacitor which may be used electrolytic , tantalum Ceramic Capacitors and what may be max value
Please correct the frequency that will be rectified: very low 60mHz, very high 60MHz or electrical 60Hz then we will know the duration between rectifier pulses that the capacitor will partially discharge.

Assuming 60Hz then the rectifier quickly charges the capacitor every 16.7ms and the 100 ohm load partially discharges it every 16.7ms.
The peak voltage is 16.6V and the capacitor discharges to 37% of it in one time constant. A time constant is R x C. Therefore a capacitor value of (16.7ms/100 ohms=) 167uF would produce peaks of 16.6V and troughs of 6.1V which is pretty bad ripple. If the capacitor value is 10 times higher at 1670uF then the peak will still be 16.6V but the trough will be about 93% of 16.6V= 15.4V as shown on an RC graph in Google Images. So a 1000uf capacitor can be used if the load is a light or is a motor. A 4700uF capacitor or more will produce less ripple, will take some time to charge and will cost more.
An electrolytic capacitor is available inexpensively at these values. I have never seen a tantalum capacitor more than 100uF and have never seen a ceramic capacitor more than 10uF.

Please correct the frequency that will be rectified: very low 60mHz, very high 60MHz or electrical 60Hz then we will know the duration between rectifier pulses that the capacitor will partially discharge.

Assuming 60Hz then the rectifier quickly charges the capacitor every 16.7ms and the 100 ohm load partially discharges it every 16.7ms.
oh sorry I mean 60Hz

how you calculated 16.7ms which formula is used to determine time constant

The time for one cycle of 60Hz is 1/60= 16.7ms.
A time constant is simply R x C. 100 ohms x 167uF= 16.7ms.

If you are using a full-wave rectifier, then the filter capacitor gets recharged every 8.33ms, and therefore you get less ripple with a given size capacitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back