Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

which course is dedicated to studying how electronic components work and made

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG1995

Hi

Though my study level of electronics is very basic I have seen in books they don't tell you how electronic components are made and how they work inside. For instance, some of the books I have seen don't even tell that how resistors work and how they are made. Well, they do say resistors are made from carbon. The same goes for diodes etc. I wanted to know which course/degree address this aspect(s). Please let me know. Thank you.

With best wishes
PG

You dont need a degree course to tell you this. You can find it out from Google searches. Degree courses are more focussed on teaching you what you can do with the components and the maths behind the circuits.

Solid State Physics.

Some colleges actually have classes where you make a device. I worked in a semiconductor lab, but we made large area devices.

As an example thin-film Silicon is usually deposited via a gas. If you want to dope with Boron you use the gas DiBorane. If you want to dope with Phosphorous, you can use Phosphine gas. These gasses are controlled with Mass flow controllers (a device that's based on thermal conductivity). Radio Frequency causes a plasma in the reactor with a controlled pressure and the gasses break down and your left with say with phosphorous incorporated into the silicon.

Photolithography and or x-ray lithography are ways to define patterns.

There is a technique where a laser is used to trim resistors in circuits.

Metals are put down by a process called sputtering.

The wires to the chips are connected to the outside with ultrasonic wire bonders.

I can do my best in answering questions based on my solid state physics knowledge and semiconductor fabrication, although I never made a transistor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back