Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

which cctv camera is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danrogers

Hi all, I'm looking at getting one of these two cameras to try out. They both state they are 420TVL but both have slightly different specs.

Which would you choose? I'm thinking the black one?

#1 **broken link removed**

#2 **broken link removed**

There isn't enough info on either to make a definitive choice so it may come down to the application. #1 is 420 line from a
1/4" sensor which is pretty good while #2 is 420 line from a 1/3" sensor which is so so. Generally the larger the sensor the better the image. #1 has s/n of 48db while #2 has 52db. #2 has a 6mm lens while #1 has no lens info so would assume it's about 3.8mm. #1 has BLC (backlight cpmpensation) which is good while #2 has no mention of BLC.
Most IR cameras leave the user disappointed. Halve the stated IR range for a start The IR is centred on the image leaving the perimeter in darkness & operation down to 2 lux is nothing to get excited about. 0.2 lux would be more useable.
I would suggest widening your search because while 16 quid might be a cheap price , it is a waste of money if it doesn't do the job.

Ok thanks for the advice! I think I'm going to go with #1. I don't want to spend much more at the moment and I can't seem to find much that is not at least x4 of the price of that one?

ready to buy one now, just had a look at that seller and they appear to sell quite a few in that price range. Which of these would be better, is a 1/3 or 1/4'' sensor better? Any real differences between Sharp / Sony?

#1 **broken link removed**
#2 **broken link removed**
#3 **broken link removed**
#4 **broken link removed**

Thanks

#1 is 420 line from a 1/4" sensor which is pretty good while #2 is 420 line from a 1/3" sensor which is so so. Generally the larger the sensor the better the image.
Your math is a little off. 1/3" is larger than 1/4".

I bought an Hitachi video camera about 10 years ago. For the first couple of hours the image colours were vibrant . After that the colour started to fade and became drab. Now I don't have it any more and I dont know the specs on it but I wouldwatch out for cheap cameras.

You miss my point. 420 lines from a 1/4 " sensor is quite good FOR a 1/4" sensor. 420 lines from a 1/3" sensor is only so so FOR a 1/3" sensor

I'm not arguing with anyone ;), but given the same resolution a 1/3" sensor will have quite a bit more light falling on it and like a larger camera lens should be better in low light conditions and possibly a sharper image.

Take note also that the biggest factor is the light gathering capabilities of the lens aperture setup.
Like the old 10x50 binoculars ,anything less woould not catch the light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back