Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which cable/connector for mass input

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowman

Hi,

I'm working on a project that takes in a large number of inputs from sensors that are being "piped" to a CPLD where certain logic is applied. Each sensor unit is some fixed distance from the logic unit, it takes 2 lines in for power, and outputs up to 5 data lines - 7 lines required to connect the logic unit to each sensor. So, for example, for 5 sensors, I need 5x7-line cables.

I currently have 30 sensors but that number may grow to more than 100.
Each sensor unit can be as close as 1 foot (~31cm) or as far as 10 feet(~305cm) away. I'm using TTL levels (0-5V) with very low currents (<5mA in most places). Right now I'm using ribbon cable soldered right onto the logic unit that lead to a female IDC connector which plugs into its male counterpart on the sensor.

I'm wondering if there is a better way to achieve the same results using a different cable, different connector and what type of considerations I should keep in mind (other than general capacitance and resistance problems I will encounter with cables of this length).

Also, the IDC connector I'm using is cumbersome; I need a cheap(<50c CDN for both female/male parts) connector that's as good as a shrouded IDC connector but not as expensive :)

Thanks for help and sorry for the somewhat vague "question" :)
Avital

you mention TTL, does that mean all those signals are LOGIC and not ANALOGUE?

If that is the case and for that many signals think about multiplexing them together

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back